C&O K3, 2-8-2 Mikado Painting

Started by ACL1504, May 29, 2020, 06:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

This is the next brass loco in the paint shop. This is a brass PFM C&O K3 2-8-2. In fact, I'm behind in the thread as this one is already painted but needs details and decals added.

This model came in two versions. Both a rectangular tender and a Vanderbuilt tender model was offered in 1978 at a retail cost of $495.00. The Vanderbuilt version cost $550.00.  Also, they both had the Elesco K-40 feedwater heater on top of the smoke box. 730 of both versions were made and imported.

Here is a photo of the Vanderbuilt tender version. The locos were identical with the exception of the tenders. At various times, these have sold on the secondary market for upwards of $1200.00 to $1800.00. Prices are low so now you can probably get one, if available, for around $650.00.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

On this model, the cab comes off and the backhead with all the extra details also comes off.

There are some interesting disassembly issues which I'll cover later. Just for FYI.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

Tom...

This is a great model.

Looking at the marker lamps below the Elessco water heater..... if you need glass jewel pieces for those please let me know.  I have most colors......

See ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

GPdemayo

Oh goody.....another neat steam engine.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Can't wait to see this one done. Post lots of pics.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: bparrish on May 29, 2020, 06:38:01 PM
Tom...

This is a great model.

Looking at the marker lamps below the Elessco water heater..... if you need glass jewel pieces for those please let me know.  I have most colors......

See ya
Bob

Bob,

Yes, this is a great model and I'm way behind in an update on the painting.

Whatever white marker jewels you want to get rid of I'll be happy to take them.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on May 29, 2020, 06:55:00 PM
Oh goody.....another neat steam engine.....I'll be looking in.  :)

Greg,

I should have an update in the next few days.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on May 30, 2020, 05:07:53 PM
Hey Tom:

Can't wait to see this one done. Post lots of pics.

Karl

Karl,

This one is well on the way to being finished but will post more photos tomorrow. Thanks for following along.

Tom  ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This isn't part of the update I've promised but I wanted to show ya'll yet another different drive mechanism on a brass loco.

Most brass have what we refer to as an enclosed gearbox. Meaning the bottom gear housing has a cap on it and the main gear doesn't show.

Below is the enclosed gearbox on the C&O K3.

Below is a photo of an open gearbox.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This loco has an idler gear as part of the main drive. The motor shaft has a worm gear on the end. This worm gear meshes with the idler gear in the gearbox tower. The worm gear turns the idler gear and this in turn turns the gear on the driver.

This set up is very dependable and is very quiet as well.

Here is something I've never seen on a brass loco - ever. The motor mount has a spring on the rear as shown. I'm guessing this helps with the smoothness of the motor, motor mount and the idler gear all working together with the least amount of "bounce".

I do have the loco painted but not yet back together. I'll show some photos tomorrow of the painted model and mention some issues I didn't count one.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Progress has been slow on this one as all the rain is holding me up a little. I just don't paint when it is damp and/or high humidity out. It affects the paint spray. Anyway, I'm waiting for some nice weather so I can finish with the top satin coat.

I painted the backhead details and cab interior.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Main frame and all side rods back in place.

I set the boiler on the frame and the tender on the tender deck and trucks. Nothing is screwed together at this point.

The loco boiler, cab and tender all have a gloss coat on. I'll spray the satin finish on later when the weather permits.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The boiler appears crooked in the next photo. The boiler is only sitting on the main frame and not secure. The photo angle also adds to the illusion.

I had to use a set of old C&O decals. The C&O also used a Delux Gold on some of the K3's. The set for this K3 had the Delux decals. However, the decal refused to meld to the tender rivets. Even using the decal set, they wouldn't set and showed an air bubble under the decal.

So, heck, I used what worked.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com