2020 Challenge Carolina Craftsman Kit #CCK1359 - AD Low & Company

Started by GPdemayo, January 26, 2020, 12:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Quote from: ReadingBob on January 27, 2020, 02:17:28 PM
I guess there's Greg speed and then there's Greg speed.  Opposite ends of the spectrum.   ;)

I'll be following along as well.   ;D

Maybe I should should say glacial speed.....thanks for looking in Bob.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: Dave K. on January 27, 2020, 06:25:59 PM
So good to see you back at it. Eager to follow along!

Hi Dave.....its has been a while and I feel like I'm starting all over again. Hopefully I can get back in the grove without too many goof-ups. ;D Thanks for looking in. :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: Opa George on January 28, 2020, 07:14:54 AM
Greg, looks like an interesting build.  I like those tarpaper add-ons--I think they add a lot of character.  I'll be looking in.
--Opa George

Hey George.....thanks for looking in.  :)

You're right about the add-on, it does add character, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the tarpaper add-on. If the structure turns out to be a profitable business, I think that type of addition would have to be a more permanent type of construction. I'll get it figured out later in the build. :-\
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

deemery

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 28, 2020, 09:11:37 AM

I work at geologic speed.  In those terms, glaciers move quickly!!!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Quote from: postalkarl on January 28, 2020, 05:53:43 PM
hey Greg:

Nice looking kit. I'll be following along.

Karl

Hi Karl.....thanks for looking in. It's a nice looking structure and an easy kit to start back with.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: deemery on January 28, 2020, 08:21:30 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on January 28, 2020, 09:11:37 AM

I work at geologic speed.  In those terms, glaciers move quickly!!!

dave

Maybe I'm not so slow after all.....good one Dave.  ;D ;D ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

What to heck is going on?  ???

The d*#n forum won't accept today's update.....says to contact admin..... >:(
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

deemery

An employer once put me on "Double Secret Probation."  I only found out when I asked why I got no pay raise at the end of the year (unlike everyone else.)

Needless to say, I took the hint and started looking for another job.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Now, on to the fun stuff.....the build.

How about we revisit a topic that always generated a bit of a response on the forum.....nail holes in wood siding.

In the past, I have argued that the adding of nail holes to the kits did not represent the real life practice of carpenters. I have always held that view, in the real world in the houses and commercial structures that I designed and built, as well as modeling. I still maintain that this only applies to the lap and tongue & grove type of sidings.

In the cedar or redwood siding that I specified for frame housing, the nail heads were hidden under the lap. There were no nails on the weather exposed facing of each course of the siding.

This appears to a different animal, mainly non-lapped siding. Since this is a commercial property, built in the late 1940's, I assumed that they went with typical 1x10 lumber, not the more expensive T&G, V joint material that would more properly be used on a more expensive structure. This type of installation would more than likely be face nailed and sealed with caulking or wood filler over the nail heads.

I used 24" o.c. for the nail holes event though 16" o.c. is the standard for exterior wall construction. Using that close of center spacing is too busy in HO scale, not to mention, that adds a heck of a lot of nail holes. I also added a few vertical cuts on the board faces to represent the butted board ends.

Exhibit #1 - (ADL-014)

Exhibit #2 - (ADL-015)

Continued in a few.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Now that the "nail holes" were done, it's time to cut the wood stock for the recommended bracing. The next step, as any organized modeler would expect, is to get out the ole' Titebond and glue the bracing. That would normally not be a problem, but.....the glue was last used about 5 years ago and as you can see, below, it wasn't exactly craftsman quality.....never seen glue to go from a tan color to this funny looking orange before. Heading out to the box store to get a fresh supply.

Exhibit #3 - (ADL-100)

Again, not being sure what type of business this will be, I decided to aff a second floor that is not included in the kit. The horizontal piece of wood, about midway up the wall, will be used later as a ledger to support the second floor.

After the glue set, I added a coat of Scalecoat white on the interior side of the walls.

Exhibit #4 - (ADL-016)

That was quite the start.....hope things go better and the forum gets straightened out. It has been a real pain getting this posted today in 2 parts.

Next time.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Opa George

Quote from: GPdemayo on February 03, 2020, 09:35:05 AM
.....the glue was last used about 5 years ago and as you can see, below, it wasn't exactly craftsman quality.....

I looked at the photo before reading your note--thought "Hmm, new formula?"  And I thought I was aging poorly!
--Opa George

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Gregory.

Nice hippo in exhibit 3.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Greg:

I have to agree with you on nail heads. They are usually under the flap. I add them for fun and it kinda make the building looks nice. The only building I have ever seen with exposed nail heads all over was in Salem Mass and it was built in the 1700's. I believe it's on the waterfront.

Karl