FOS The Wacther Apartments

Started by ReadingBob, May 05, 2020, 09:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rail and Tie

Following along Bob! Looking forward to your build.  Here is a video build that was done. Might be some useful bits of info for you if you have not seen his stuff before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfK6q18QNc

Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Quote from: mark dalrymple on May 05, 2020, 03:55:17 PM
Looking good, Bob.

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks Mark!  This one has been fun so far.  Lot's to do yet.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

Quote from: Rail and Tie on May 05, 2020, 04:38:47 PM

Following along Bob! Looking forward to your build.  Here is a video build that was done. Might be some useful bits of info for you if you have not seen his stuff before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfK6q18QNc

Thanks for following along and thanks for the link Darryl!  I watched the video out of one eye while keeping an eye batch jobs running at work.   ::)  Definitely a nice build.  A few differences in the way we approach certain aspects of the build but that's okay.  There are lots of different ways to do things.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

I built that when it came out. It's quite A kit. Have fun.

Karl

ACL1504

Bob,

Count me in on the followers on this one. I have the sister to this one so I'll be following closely. Oh, great start as well.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dave K.

Very much enjoying your thread, Bob, even though I can't often post. Love this building...on my build short-list.

ReadingBob

Quote from: postalkarl on May 06, 2020, 12:13:03 PM
Hey Bob:

I built that when it came out. It's quite A kit. Have fun.

Karl

Thanks Karl!  Is there anything you haven't built yet???   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 06, 2020, 12:44:35 PM
Bob,

Count me in on the followers on this one. I have the sister to this one so I'll be following closely. Oh, great start as well.

Tom  ;D

Hi Tom!  Thanks!  Yes, this is the sister kit to the one you have.  Both are really neat looking buildings.  Of course I'll be bringing this one down when it finished for you and the rest of the gang to check out.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Dave K. on May 07, 2020, 07:17:36 AM
Very much enjoying your thread, Bob, even though I can't often post. Love this building...on my build short-list.

Thanks Dave!  I'm really sorry you're having posting issues.  I really enjoy following along with what you're working on.  You'll enjoy building this one when you get to it.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Dave K.

I read-up on everyone's projects daily on my i-devices. My modeling has mostly moved to Facebook. Hobby on!

ReadingBob

Back at it.  Time to show some progress on this one.   ;)

I used a chisel blade in an X-Acto knife handle to lift some of the clapboard walls.  Slip it under the clapboard and twist slightly.  Or twist a lot if you want to snap off a piece of the clapboard to really make it look weathered.  The big trick here is to not slip up and rough up a finger or two.   :o

I used MicroScale Industries Micro Krystal Klear to glaze the widows.  Just draw a drop across the back of the windows to create a thin film.  I like the stuff.  I rarely have issues with bubble like I did with Canopy Glue.  I never tried Gallery Glass.  One thing to note, however, is if you opt to use the acetate provided in the kit for this you won't have enough to finish the storefronts so you'll have to find another sheet of acetate to complete the kit. 

Next up I added the 1/16" square corner trim to the walls per the templates.  I first examine the four sides of the weathered piece of strip wood to find the best sides to expose and then I apply a thin bead of glue to one of the not so good sides.   :D

I smooth out/smear the bead of glue with my finger to cover the edge of the strip wood and remove as much excess as I can.  I have a paper towel handy to wipe my finger clean before I handle anything with it and transfer the glue to it.  I don't want glue oozing out when I press the wood up against the edge of the clapboard wall.  Any excess that does ooze out gets scraped off immediately.

Then it's just a matter or aligning the corner piece with the edge and getting a nice, tight fit.  It's longer than necessary.  That'll get taken care of after the glue grabs.

Once the glue has taken hold I trim the corner piece to fit with a single edged razor blade.

More in a moment... ;) 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I realized I missed a photo/step in the process.  After roughing up the clapboard walls with the chisel blade I painted them with A&I to darken them a bit (actually a bit more than I planned on) and darken any wood exposed by the chisel blade roughing process.

Next up I glued the windows in place.  I used the same Titebond glue for this that I did for gluing wood to wood.  It seems to work fine.  A little glue around the inside opening in the wall.

Then press the window in place.

As luck would have it I came up a wee bit short on the 1/16" square strip wood that I had colored for the main building.  There was one pieced I colored white for on of the roof top sheds.  The rest I colored red for the main building.  I could have pieced two of the shorter remnants together but opted to grab a piece out of my scrap box, paint and weather it so I'd have a piece long enough to finish the job.

I took sheet of white paper that I painted with Floquil Depot Buff on one side and cut strips wide enough to cover the back of the windows from the rear with a little overhang for gluing.

Then I cut some short pieces off of the strip, using a square, and added a little glue around the back of the window.

I positioned the paper in place (Depot Buff side facing the window of course) and the window has a shade.

More in a moment...  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision