wood shingles the hard way

Started by fsmcollector67, October 26, 2016, 09:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsmcollector67

Hey all,
If any of you have been following my hoffinmier brewery build, here is how I did the shingles.

1) the first photo shows the .010 birch paper wood I purchased from realwoodpaper.com. these are real nice, and are fleece backed, so they are strong. with it is the 52 tpi saw I grain them with. I bought the birch, as it is the lightest color, they also offer other hardwoods.
2) the second photo is of the india ink stained piece.
3) the third photo is after several coats of hunterlines cedar stain applied, I thin this out a bit.
4) the fourth photo I give it a wash of either grime, or antique white, just to fade the colors out a bit.
5) the fifth photo is of the device I use to slice the strips, got in the craft store for $10 with coupon.
6) the next photo is the cut strips, I will do them about 3/16 to 1/4 wide. I try to vary so I do not have to offset from the placement line to much
    see next post for the continued how-to
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

fsmcollector67

how to continued
7) then we have the old chopper, I make three different sizes.
8) these are the piles of shingles
9) here are two close ups of the split, and chipped shingles.
The last thing I do is dry brush with an off white, and stain again with india ink.
Its a lot of work but looks great in the end...
9 Fingers Loren.....

ACL1504

Loren,

The shingles look great, thanks for sharing your technique with us. Lots of different wood paper is available from the site. I'll be checking it out in more detail as time permits.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

S&S RR

Loren

Great technique - the singles look wonderful. Thanks for sharing it with us. I have a couple builds coming up where I think I will give it a try.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

fsmcollector67

Thanks all for the comments, the process is as I said an extreme amount of work, but what in this hobby is quick....if you do a search for making ho scale shingles, there is a quick method of taping the pieces together, but then you get a very uniform look....I think a little character adds to the look.. I just need to find someone with a laser cutter, and do a whole sheet in strips, with little notches, and vary the protruding length, and it would be so much easier...
9 Fingers Loren.....

hairball

I do basically the same thing in O scale scratch builds except I use a wall paper knife to chop them to random widths.

I know that a lot of people model wood cedar shingle roofs  , but the lengths are always random and I personally have never seen a real roof like that.  I find it against my nature to do them random length  style.

Darryl Huffman has done a couple of killer random length shingle roofs with his ALASKA PACKERS structure from a few years ago.

mike lynch....................HAIRBALL