Foley Industries - Shelf Orphans

Started by Dave K., June 12, 2019, 08:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave K.

Need to add a dock, and realize I forgot the canopies over the docks.

Dave K.

Work on the canopies. Realize after the fact that the replaced panel probably would have been better someplace other than where the support wire goes. Oh, well.  :o

Dave K.

Will need to repeat this for the other structure.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Dave K.

jimmillho

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

Dave, buildings look really nice and the elevation change presents a very pleasing variety of angles and rooflines.  That spot of spackle on the retaining wall could disappear soon as the vines "grow."
--George

Dave K.

Thanks for the support, Jim, Bob, and George. You can bet those vines will grow when I finish the scene!🤣

Dave K.

Added building #2.

Dave K.

As you can see, working from a mental picture (at least in my case ::) ) can lead to problems. I came up short on the size of the pink foam. No biggie...easily fixed when I plant it into the scene. Secondly, I forgot to allow for the loading dock when I installed the asphalt drive (intended to be truck-served...no spur).  Since I want to keep this as narrow as possible so as not to eat up too much real estate for a background scene, I'll have to fudge things a bit. So I'll scrap the dock and park a vehicle there.

Now, you say, what's to keep the drivers from backing in, cutting it close, and just rolling down the hill, over the edge, and onto the town below. Exactly. So I'll have to noodle something to address that little issue. So much for careful planning.  :o

Dave K.

I considered several types of fences/barriers to keep Foley's intrepid drivers (relatively) safe. Decided to try my hand at masonry and go with a low stone wall such as those I encountered daily when I drove a 1937 White tour bus in Glacier National Park.

Dave K.

About a month ago, thinking I might like to play with molding my own stone walls for structures, I ordered some Baby Building Blocks from Dr. Ben's. Being pretty bad at estimating sizes/quantities, I ordered two 2-pounders. Anyone need some to play with?

Dave K.

I know some of you have used these before. They're pretty cool...actual little pieces of granite. So I started messing around with them. This is just as they come from the bag...no cutting on my part.

Dave K.

Started gluing them together using Gorilla Super Glue Gel and then thought, "Wait a minute...I should be experimenting with coloring them before I get too far. So I pulled out all of my Hunterline stains and started putzing around.