C&O H-5 2-6-6-2 Articulated Painting

Started by ACL1504, April 21, 2020, 05:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandOGuy

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 28, 2020, 04:53:29 PM
Quote from: NKP768 on May 27, 2020, 08:55:17 AM
I forgot to add with the Pennsy engine - just when I got everything back together and running smoothly the local SPF made his appearance and proudly announced to anyone within earshot that I had the valve gear set backwards - the Pennsy(Standard Railroad of the World) ran left leading valve gearing when everyone else ran the valve action with the right side leading....sheeessss.
Doug
Doug,

I got a chuckle out of this comment. The people in the hobby I like least are the rivet counters.  :-X :-X 

If you think they're bad here, you should try restoring old Corvettes. Now THERE's a group of really anal folks. Been there: tolerated that.

Tom  ;D
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

deemery

I don't mind people who can tell me when something is wrong. 

I DO mind when people think that I have an obligation to correct it, or an expectation that I'll change how I do my hobby to make them happy.

In particular, I don't mind running stuff that doesn't match my 1898 era, as long as I know it's anachronistic...

(and, with respect to NMRA contests, I don't want to have to write a book about my models.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

BandOGuy

Quote from: deemery on May 28, 2020, 07:22:43 PM

I DO mind when people think that I have an obligation to correct it, or an expectation that I'll change how I do my hobby to make them happy.

In particular, I don't mind running stuff that doesn't match my 1898 era, as long as I know it's anachronistic...

(and, with respect to NMRA contests, I don't want to have to write a book about my models.)

dave

Dave,
NMRA contests are currently deemed to be "evaluations".
Contests denote competition and for the generation raised on participation trophies, competition is not a PC term.  >:(
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

ACL1504

Quote from: BandOGuy on May 28, 2020, 05:38:38 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on May 28, 2020, 04:53:29 PM
Quote from: NKP768 on May 27, 2020, 08:55:17 AM
I forgot to add with the Pennsy engine - just when I got everything back together and running smoothly the local SPF made his appearance and proudly announced to anyone within earshot that I had the valve gear set backwards - the Pennsy(Standard Railroad of the World) ran left leading valve gearing when everyone else ran the valve action with the right side leading....sheeessss.
Doug
Doug,

I got a chuckle out of this comment. The people in the hobby I like least are the rivet counters.  :-X :-X 

If you think they're bad here, you should try restoring old Corvettes. Now THERE's a group of really anal folks. Been there: tolerated that.

Tom  ;D

Chip,

Yes, all the auto restorers are real sticklers for detail even down to the correct decal/sticker on the air breather.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on May 28, 2020, 07:22:43 PM

dave

Dave,

I agree. I have some 40 box cars I like but are a few years outside my time period. MY railroad.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

My motto has always been I model April 23, 1955 at 2:30 p.m. EST.  Give or take 40 years.   :P
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

deemery

Quote from: ReadingBob on May 29, 2020, 12:40:22 PM
My motto has always been I model April 23, 1955 at 2:30 p.m. EST.  Give or take 40 years.   :P

Even 1955 - 40 is too modern for me!  (1898, but I'll nod and wink at anything before WWI)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

You are quite welcome.

Karl

ACL1504

After two weeks, the Judge and I finally got a chance to do two videos of the articulated C&O 2-6-6-2 loco,

The scene starts with the loco rounding the curve at Sandlando. The curve is at the northern most limits of the city. Listen carefully and you will hear the exhaust come in and out of sync. Notice also the increase in the throttle as it leaves the city and approaches the railroad bridge at the Little Tahope River.

After crossing the bridge, the loco continues around the curve at Eaton's Curve and on towards the Suwannee River Lagoon. There are 28, okay, one is empty, loaded coal hoppers in this drag and the H5 has no problems with the tonnage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_0QFa4WbGs
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Great loco.....loved the way the whistle sounded off in the distance when the video got to the caboose. Great job.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on June 06, 2020, 05:45:37 PM
Great loco.....loved the way the whistle sounded off in the distance when the video got to the caboose. Great job.  8)

Greg,

Thanks very much, it was a fun video to do.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

Tom,

It was wonderful to see and hear that impressive engine in action against the backdrop of your beautiful scenery.
Jerry

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on June 07, 2020, 10:42:15 AM

Tom,

It was wonderful to see and hear that impressive engine in action against the backdrop of your beautiful scenery.

Jerry,

Thank you, very glad you enjoyed the video of the C&O "hog". I also appreciate you checking in on the thread.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on June 07, 2020, 09:43:36 AM
Quote from: GPdemayo on June 06, 2020, 05:45:37 PM

Greg,

Thanks very much, it was a fun video to do.

Tom ;D

Especially since you had a quiet crew..... ;D ;D ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jbvb

Nice job, Tom.   Long may it run!

Do you put the resistors in the Blue decoder wire as a standard practice?  I'm not aware of any electrical reason to put resistors on a particular side of an LED.
James