2x4 or 1x4

Started by Dennis Bourey, December 01, 2019, 04:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

Well,  I went to lowes today for some stuff and I looked at the lumber. 2x4x8 are $2.62 and 1x4x8 are $6.82 each what do you guys use for your layout? That's quite the difference if you building a good size layout? Thinking of 12x20 and was wondering what to use? Or rip 3/4 plywood? Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

sdrees

Hi Dennis,

I used 1x4's L-girder construction for the joists and 2x2's for the legs.  When you get your lumber from Home Depot or Lowes make sure you get pieces that are straight, because a lot of them are warped.

Here is the link to my layout construction where I go into detail on the construction of the bench work for my layout.

http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=1811.0
Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Dennis

I used 2x4 for exactly the same reason about 1/3 the cost (I bought the #1 Pine 2x4's for the new section for 1.89 at Menards).   The 1x4 L girder makes nice clean looking benchwork but I never could justify the cost. My 2x4 benchwork is supporting 3400 lbs of plaster and has no issues holding me when I climb around on it. I started with a 3/4 inch plywood top. I cut holes when I want the landforms lower and add pink styrofoam to go up now.  In the past the larger mountains were made with a cardboard mesh and plaster.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

rpdylan

I make my own 1x4 using 3/4 plywood,,,,, very cost effective, stable, and straight!
Bob C.

jerryrbeach

Dennis,

My local Lowe's has the absolute worst 2x4's I have ever seen.  On my last visit I must have picked through thirty or more of their more expensive ones to get two that are straight with no warping or twisting so I could use them for 2x2 legs.  I find their 1x4's are less expensive per foot and better quality if you buy the sixteen footers.  I cut them to shorter lengths in the parking lot with my battery powered circular saw to make it easier to get them home.  Bob is on the money, if you can accurately rip 3/4 plywood sheets into 1x4's it does cost less.  I am building my layout as individual modules so weight is a factor for me. 
Jerry

deemery

I'm with Steve, 1x4 L Girder on 2x2 posts. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

Like Bob C., I rip 3/4 in plywood into 1x4s and 1x2s for L girders.  I invert the L girders.  Cut 2x2s to use to attach the 1x4s as cross members.  I do this as it's easier for me as a lone wolf modeler to build the benchwork myself.  I use 2x4s (searching through a large pile at Lowe's for a straight one) for the legs.

Jeff

Dennis Bourey

Steve I'm about half way through you build WOW!!! Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Dennis Bourey

Thank you, You guys are  asset to this hobby. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

deemery

For you guys who do ripped-down plywood:  How do you do this?  Seems to me A LOT of work to rip plywood that way.  Is there some particular tool or set-up you do to make this feasible?

dave

Mark Dalrymple

If Lowe's timber is so crap why doesn't everyone shop at a timber merchant?

deemery

Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 02, 2019, 01:48:26 PM

Those are pretty scarce in the US these days!

dave

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on December 02, 2019, 02:20:14 PM
Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 02, 2019, 01:48:26 PM

Those are pretty scarce in the US these days!

dave

They sure are - I have found that the quality of the lumber at Mernards is much better than HomeDepot and Lowes. We have all three within a mile of one another.  I still go to our local lumber yard when I have big projects.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

Hi guy's, I found HD has better lumber then Lowes. And other lumber yards just don't exist around the two big box stores. At least in my area I found one but it's way to far to make a run.  Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Dennis Bourey

Mark, I'm not sure if there's a timber merchant in the state's  ? Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)