First Craftsman Kit Build - J. Keen Supplies

Started by WigWag Workshop, May 31, 2020, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WigWag Workshop

Quote from: postalkarl on July 15, 2020, 06:35:18 PM
Steven:

Looks good. Any idea on what is next?

Karl

Has far as this kit, "tidy" up the weathering when my chalks arrive, and maybe set it in a small diorama, like shown in the DVD.  Not sure on my next kit, all I have in the stash is Wolf's Gas and Oil, and Foley Hookers Towing.  I do have Gleason Garage ordered, but that will be for a future build, after I build a few more kits.  I will be asking for suggestions, in a separate thread soon.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

postalkarl

Hey Steven:

sounds good I will be following along.

Karl

Opa George

Steven,
Very nice results on J. Keen Supplies.  You should be feeling much more confident now--you accomplished a really fine build.
--Opa George

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks!

So, I started doing some weather, using some chalks. Not really happy so far, BUT, I am having fun, and learning a lot.  Please keep in mind, this my first kit, and this has been a learning process.  I am about ready to wrap this one up (other than making a small diorama) has that will also be a learning experience. I have started a few dioramas, has well as I 4 x 8 layout at one time, but never finished them. This is an awesome hobby, and I appreciate all the feedback, it really helps and inspires me to keep going.  It's ok to give me critiques on my work, because it will help me on future builds.  I have been taking a lot of notes, and saving pictures of stuff you fine folks have posted.

-Steven

A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

ReadingBob

FINE job for a first build Steven!

You'll find posting pictures on the forum very useful.  Things stand out in the pictures that, for some reason, you just don't notice while the structure is sitting in front of you on the workbench. 

I rarely am happy with something I just finished.  But I find when I go back and look at it a few months later I usually like it.  I don't know why that is.  Maybe because it's usually planted on someone's layout with beautiful scenery, engines and rolling stock around it.   ;D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Mark Dalrymple

Nice work, Steven.

This kit came out really nicely.  I'll be watching out for your next one. Jason Jensen has a new youtube video where he talks about some simple kit bashing.  Not as frightening as it sounds - its really just combining a couple of kits together in some interesting way.  Might be worth taking a look at?  Its a great area to get into in and of itself, as well as a stepping stone to scratch-building, and a great way to get a truly unique looking structure.

I couldn't find the video I watched the other day but here is one to take a look at. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvY_gs2aNC4&list=PLo8lQYTKD12ofzTUFjz8ESyPprFsV6Dgz&index=5

Jason has a heap of good information on his channel which he is offering to everyone.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey Steven:

As Bob B said very well done for you first try. Have any idea what's next? Let us know ok.

Karl

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

Bruce Oberleitner

Damn,  I wish that my first craftsman kit had looked that good.  Wonderful job!  What are you planning on working on next?

;D ;D ;D

WigWag Workshop

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on August 23, 2020, 11:23:28 AM
Damn,  I wish that my first craftsman kit had looked that good.  Wonderful job!  What are you planning on working on next?

;D ;D ;D

I appreciate the kind words, I have started a build thread of my 2nd build, Foley Towing.  It's a experimental build, where I am trying out different techniques.

-Steven

WigWag Workshop

I appreciate the kind feedback all! I am having a blast build these craftsman kits, and I appreciate everyone that shares their builds. 

-Steven

ACL1504

Steven,

You've done a great job for your very first build, well done.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

NKP768