JL Innovative Design Sawpit Store

Started by Oldguy, May 04, 2020, 11:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Thanks guys. 

Today was all about the roofs.  Once I got the cards cut to size and ensuring that they were square, I drew out the tar paper guidelines.  I cut my rolled roofing to a scale 3 feet wide.  The normal course of action would be to have a 2" piece of lumber at the edge of the eave and then measure up 3' for the outside edge of the 2x .  This should give about 2" overhang.  Then from that line, measure up 2'6" until I get to the peak.  This gives a 6" overlap for each course.  I let the ends run a bit wild, but again, try to leave 2" overhang.  I also cut my strips about 33'3" long.  In this case, I had a bunch of short material left over, which I used for the cooler annex and garage.  When I have left over material after a course, I use that remaining material to start my next row, assuming it's over 2' long.

Here, I decided to use transfer tape.  Just be easy in getting the first little bit lined up and I like it better than glue.  That I reserve for the ride caps.  After the roofing had been added, the card is glued on.  I still need to start the weathering process and then will add the signage.  A lot of it.

I did change out the door and frame for the back door as suggested.  The instructions stated that It wouldn't fit properly, but mine seemed to fit just fine.

Then I can get these building mounted on some gatorfoam so I can add the covered add-on.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

jerryrbeach

Bob,

Coming along nicely.  I'm glad you included some information on correctly sizing and using the rolled roofing.  Many modelers don't seem to know these dimensions and their roofs look less realistic because of it.  Keep up the good work!
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looking just great so far. Like your color on the walls.

Karl

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Somewhere I posted never built any of their kits. That was A mistake and I have built A few of them. I have 12 of their kits on the kits on the shelf. I have built several of them over the years. Will see if I can find the photos. I like their kits. They are very nice. I have the Saw Pit Store.

My Rebelstoke Pick And Shovel is on his Website. I changed all the signs. I made it A Shoe Factory. Here's the photos. These are the photos I sent to JL Innovative Design. I built several of his kits. As I said their kits are very nice.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Postalkarl, considering your prodigious output, I can't imagine you being able to keep track of all your builds.  Good looking building.  Not my style, but good looking nevertheless.
One little extra was using left over material to build the outside bench.  There is a front and side template, mainly for making the crossed legs and seat length.  Using the 3x12 material, one needs two of them to get the width (?).  Actually, to accommodate the legs, the bench seat is going to be close to 30" deep.  So, easy enough to space out the 3x12s, add 2x4 material for the center.  I might add something for the back; or not.

I did get the buildings dirtied up in preparation for the signs.  I used weathered brown powder lightly daubed on the bottom and then drawn upward and then across each side.
There are a ton of signs and posters included.  As I do with every kit, I scan the originals and mainly use the scanned copies.  One sign not included was the Prestone banner.  And to me, it was a must.  I did find one and using Word picture tools, removed the background.  I made several different sizes and used the one that looked about right.  I ran out of steam and most likely will add a couple more, before sizing a mounting board.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

WOW!!! all I can say is very nice job on this one.

Karl

Oldguy

Quote from: postalkarl on May 15, 2020, 12:18:22 AM
Hey Bob:

WOW!!! all I can say is very nice job on this one.

Karl
Thanks a lot!  Means a lot to me.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli

What a nice little build , love the color and the signs , well done Bob.
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

Oldguy

To add the open air shed, I needed to glue the store to something.  I had a piece of left over gator foam/board of about the right size and glued the store and garage to it.  Then, it was a matter of gluing it down.  A machinist block on it's side made for a perfect spacer and kept it vertical. 

The instructions have you take a square of corrugated metal, cut to fit, for a roof.  Ummm, no.  I dug around and found some left over pre-stained 2x8s that will work for joists.  I had previously cut and painted roofing panels and these were mounted on top of the 2x8s.  Once the glue dries, I can complete weathering the metal panels.  This roof is a lot stronger than it looks.

While waiting for glue to dry (this a definite theme here), I managed to work on the visible register gas pump.  Here, the flying Pegasus logo was punched out and glued to the face of the globe.  The instructions are very sparse on how the pump is to be assembled.  I'll do some digging around on the interwebs to see how the pump handle is attached along with the hose/nozzle assembly is attached.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

It's looking just great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Karl

Oldguy

I managed to get the buildings glued down and the shed and roof installed.

The visible register gas pump was a pain.  The instructions weren't all that clear, actually it was "put together per drawing", so I did some internet searching and found where the parts go.  I'm not sure why they keep using red insulated wire for the hose, but here it is again.  I needed to drill some holes in the pump base for the hand pump, hose outlet and nozzle storage.  I use a battery operated screwdriver with a drill chuck installed for a pin vise.

To clean the hand pump, there isn't a lot to hold onto, so I use a stir stick as a backer so I file a way.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

While waiting for the pump to dry. I also worked on the Sign post.  I find that for double sided signs, I cut along the straight lines, and rough cut the rest.  Once the glue between the two sides has dried, I then cut any curved bits.  The post has a cast metal finial, but it more ovoid than round, but it got glued on half way decently.  Here, the canopy glue is still drying.

And here is the gas pump.  I used floral wire for the hose.

Now, it is a matter of marking out the dirt and gravel areas and add some scenery.  I still haven't figured out the static grass thing. It just won't stand up.  Kinda loses out on the whole point of the "static" grass being upright.
Eventually, I will add a Bubba's Smokehouse on the left.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Neat looking station, sign and pump.
Curt Webb