Question related to "How to use the forum"

Started by rrkreitler, January 04, 2014, 11:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrkreitler

I have a couple operational questions related to how to post to the forum.

I see there is a thread about how to post with photos inline in your text. I tried following the process discussed there and did not have any luck getting it to work (posting the URL of an attachment into an [img] tag). Can anyone shed some light on this? So far the posts I have found that have images inline all seem to be using links to photos stored at other locations. Is there an official process for uploading photos to the forum and displaying them inline with your text?

One other issue I am having (that I suspect may be browser related) is that the hot spots for clicking on links at the main forum screen seem to be randomly sized and located. What I mean is, if I go to the main forum page and hover my mouse over the links for the Baggage Car or eBay Crazies, the link highlights (the underline appears under the link) and I can click on it to go visit that list.

If I hover my mouse over the Scratchbuilding link it only becomes "clickable" when I hover over the letters u-i-l-d-i-n-g. If I click on the work "Scratch" nothing happens. Down on the Dioramas link I can only click on it if I hover over the very right edge of the letter s. the rest of that tag is completely dead. This is the behavior on my main desktop computer. On my tablet I simply cannot click on the diorama link. No matter where I hover my mouse (or touch the screen) no part of that link is active.

The links farther down the list only become active if I hover my mouse to the right of the colon. A question for the forum admins, do you have any control over the hot area of these tags?  Is anyone else having this issue? I use a few Windows 8.1 machines using Internet Explorer and an iPad with Safari. nothing real exotic so I am not sure where the problem is originating.

Advice would be appreciated.

ak-milw

I am having the same problems with the tabs, I figured it would take awhile to get it all straightend out.

8)

barrymk

I have noticed the same problem with hotlinks on the forum headings, a bit hit and miss. It should be easy enough to make the defined link area bigger.  I send all my pics to my free dropbox public folder and copy the links from there into an tag.  It is much more cumbersome a process than it needs to be but it's early days here and I'm happy to roll with it until the mods can get round to sorting a way to upload direct from my pc as I can on Trainlife.  At least the guys here respond willingly to our user issues and want to make it a great forum, that's worth a lot.

Apache Modelworks

Yup, I cannot get anything to post either, at least picture wise.

barrymk

Apologies my post should have read "copy the links from there into an  img][/img   tag "

Janbouli

Of course linking it from your own website or from Flickr or such is the easiest way to do it, can't understand why everyone wants to upload the photo's.

[img*]http://janbouli.com/images/trackplans/Layout-12-5-2011web.jpg[*/img]

Without the *

Attachment first uploaded , then posted, then clicked on the thumbnail, then right-click on the image , click Copy Image Location, click modify post, click the Mona Lisa, control+v to paste and save.

[img*]http://modelersforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=134.0;attach=936;image[*/img]

Without the *

I love photo's, don't we all.

Janbouli

It's a bit more work then linking from a website , but easy to do .

NEMMRRC

Not everyone has their own website or Flickr account.

It seems folks find it easier (to them) to upload from their PC. Plus, many were used to doing things one way and well, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Regardless, if one uses a Dropbox account there is no need for a website and the files are on the PC.
http://modelersforum.com/general-daily-discussion/using-dropbox-shared-photos/msg933/#msg933

Jaime

Janbouli

A free Flickr account now has 1 Terabyte you can upload in photo's and video's , yes you have adds, but one terabyte is almost limitless when it comes to photo's. Just thought some of you would like to know this, I have no connection to Flickr then that of a satisfied user.

gnatshop

Janbouli

gnatshop

Quote from: Janbouli on January 07, 2014, 06:19:12 PM
Quote from: gnatshop on January 06, 2014, 10:26:28 PM
Quote from: Randee on January 06, 2014, 06:46:42 PM
Dropbox is free... 
And so are my cookies: 

Well what u waitin for , send us some. 
Randee claimed the whole batch, in fact, she didn't even wait for the rack to cool! - you know how them wimmin and their chocolate chip cookies are!  ;D ;D ;D

ranny9

Quote from: gnatshop on January 07, 2014, 11:51:22 PM
Quote from: Janbouli on January 07, 2014, 06:19:12 PM
Quote from: gnatshop on January 06, 2014, 10:26:28 PM
Quote from: Randee on January 06, 2014, 06:46:42 PM
Dropbox is free... 
And so are my cookies: 

Well what u waitin for , send us some. 
Randee claimed the whole batch, in fact, she didn't even wait for the rack to cool! - you know how them wimmin and their chocolate chip cookies are!  ;D ;D ;D

You lie...!

gnatshop

Quote from: Randee on January 08, 2014, 08:57:11 AM
You lie...! 
Nahh - I just exaggerate some times!!
Now, sit down and have another cookie!  ;D ;D ;D