Bar Mills - Majestic Hardware roof

Started by Willwood42, February 07, 2016, 12:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willwood42

The roof that is depicted in the finished version of Majestic Hardware on the instruction sheet is red. I have built roofs that are red, but they have been rusted or oxidized corrugated metal. The roof that comes with this kit is supposed to simulate rolled paper. Does anyone have an idea what the prototype would be for this type of roof? Also the roofing paper has little holes on one edge. Does anyone know why?

First time poster. Thanks for any help

-david

ACL1504

David,

First, a very big welcome to the forum. We have many superior modelers here. But most important we love to share ideas. Again, welcome.

I haven't built the Bar Mills Majestic Hardware but it is a great kit. I've used red rolled roofing on other structures. The red for me gives the model a different look other than just the standard dark grey of black. Another alternative is green.

I've seen red, green, black and dark grey here in Orlando, Fl. on sheds and other structures.

As far as the question of the nail holes in rolled roofing, I never like the look or the requirement much less the understanding as to why. To me the nail holes are just more opportunity for rain to leak in. I've never seen it on real structures.

Hope this helps but it is only my humble opinion.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Willwood42

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the welcome, and all the information. I think I agree with you about the nail holes. I have never seen red tar paper up here in NJ, but it might just be for the want of looking. I like the looks of the red roofing on the kit and knowing that there is a prototype, will help me with my paint scheme decision. I think my other choice was olive drab walls with a reddish brown trim and dark grey roofing.

Thanks again  -david

martin.ojaste

Welcome to the forum.

Some roofers woukd nail the bottom edge of a strip to hold the lower and upper strips down. They usually tared over that edge. Overtime it would crack because of shrinkage exposing the nails and curled edges.

rpdylan

You can get some rd or rust primer and paint a sheet of paper, then cut som strips on one of these ( i use it all he time for cutting paper roofing).  Then you can apply chalk or pastel colors to tone / weather the roof.

Bob C.