Moscone Bail Bonds

Started by Dave K., February 14, 2014, 06:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave K.

2nd Semester is busting my chops...so much so that I've only had a few hours at the bench since mid-January.  But, it's a three-day weekend and I'm determined to be productive...despite three appointments from Saturday thru Monday.

I was taken with this kit the minute I saw the previews...it's got a lot of character and I've never known a bad Fos kit. Plus, he got the name from one of the funniest movies I know. So here we go.

The 28th Amendment says you must start with a pic of the kit contents.  The mini Snickers is not shown. I can't explain that.   ::)

MAP

Looking forward to watching your build.  I really like this kit.  Take lots of pics!
Mark

Dave K.

Welcome aboard, MAP.  Love weekend mornings. My wife wil be sawing logs 'til 8 or so, so it's me, the dog, a cuppa Joe, and the workbench.

Like to start by getting the tedious stuff out of the way...nailholes, soaking the stripwood, etc. Got the idea for using this handy cutlery tray from the Fos DVD on contest-winning structures with Bob Mitchell. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and get one. Chock-full of neat tips and he's entertaining as all get-out.

Dave K.

Never done a stucco-ed wall before, but it's one of the eye-catching features of this kit. Doug recommends the water putty approach, and provides you with a small bag. I've heard good things about the Liquitex Ceramic Stucco, so I swung (swinged?  swang?) by my local Michael's to pick some up. I'll experiment with both today and see what flies. I believe on kitforums Jaime and a few others chimed-in on their use of both some time ago. You can probably Google it and find the thread.

Dave K.

A warning about the Durham's ... I've used it in the past for doing roads. Notice the label brags that it's "Rock Hard All Around Champ."  They ain't kidding, friends. Once it's down you are NOT going to be sanding it!  :o

To deviate, if you're a follower of Fos kits you know that Doug will often name his kits from movies; Hooper's Fresh Oysters...Cimino Taxidermy...Genco Olive Oil...I think there was one for Chief Brody as well. I knew Moscone Bail Bonds immediately.   I think it's the first time I saw DeNiro do comedy. Warning...more F-bombs than you can count. My favorite line of DeNiro's:  "I got two words for you...'Shut the f... up.'"

robertseckler

Dave K

I moved you build here to contest area

Good Luck :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Robert