Jukes Boat Livery. --- a Clever card model

Started by DEFugere, February 19, 2014, 05:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

DEFugere

Thom at Clever card models sent me the files for this one via a zip file. Easy peasy, needed this way because the MacBook Air has no DVD/CD drive. I pri.ted them out on light gray card stock.  I also got the warf from Clever, an oyster boat from Doug and a Jordan truck I'd like to convert for the Boat Livery run by Juke.

A good supply of single edge razor blades, some new #11 exactos and a brand new cutting mat. I am ready and no need to pick a color, Thom did that for me.

DEFugere

DEFugere

This comes with about four or five boats. I started with the boats as I need to get back in the zone. I've built Clevers garage and totally enjoyed it, so time to build. I used Aileen's tacky to do some initial glueing---I had run out of Crazy Glue. Let's get building!

DEFugere

Made some progress. The boat was first, many small parts but the illustrations are clear when you follow the numbered steps. I substituted different tools than I had expected like a snap off razor blade and a home made clothespin clamp. I've heard some use ACC but I had better luck with Aillens Tacky. I will try a few different options when making the second boat. The main building for Jukes has four walls and two stiffeners so far.

cuse

David,

Glad to see this project. I've always been intrigued by the Clever Models projects, but couldn't imagine the build process. Please, lots of pics.

John

DEFugere

Starting second boat. A few up close photos showing some steps in detail. Sorry for the poor quality, the work bench light seems to be out of cinque with my shutter speed. Any suggestions welcome.

DEFugere

I need to repost this picture. It shows how I use the pointed toothpick to apply very small amounts of glue to the gunwale.

David

DEFugere

Time for a detailed look at making the boat. This picture shows the gunwale strip glued to the outside port starboard and stern. Remember the three pieces have been folded back on the inside and glued with Aileens Tacky. In this picture all pieces are over size. Next they need to be trimmed to final size.

PHQRR

Looks like an interesting build!   8)  I could see it fitting in well on the PHQRR.

DEFugere

Al D, tried to check out your facebook page, but could not. What I am I doing wrong?

Well after the three sides are cut to size you need to glue the port side to the stern then when dry the starboard to the stern. Used Aleens as before, small glue dots only. Because the glue stays sticky for longer than ACC it gives me time to position. Allow to dry for a good 30 minutes. I use this time to cut out Dougs oyster boat.

DEFugere

Four parts to the FOS oyster barge. Cutting this out takes about 25 minutes, give or take. I'm slow I'm an old guy. Plenty of time for the Clever's boat to dry.

DEFugere

Cut the double thickness stern seat and glue to stern and sides. Easy! The center seat is double thickness too but after a score and fold it becomes four card stock thick, I may change this in the next boat built.

A homemade clamp holds the center seat until dry!

nvrr49