Foscale - Hoopers Oyster

Started by EricQuebec, February 22, 2014, 09:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricQuebec

Hello All,
Here's my thread for this contest.
Last spring I bought this kit, but I've never take time to build it.  The reason is very simple : Too busy with my Red Hook Scratchbuild project (not finished yet).. SO this challenge is a very good opportunity to build it.
Here's the 2 traditionnal pictures before begin to build it

The cityfirst task was to make the bracing on the wall.
ANd paint the back side of the wall in black.
That's all for this week....
Eric Québec

DEFugere

Eric, you have made a good choice. This kit is great and you will have fun. When I built mine I made two, one is on my modules showing the front, the second is placed to view the rear. I cann't wait to see what you do with yours. Have fun.

David

Dave K.

I've always liked this structure...simple lines but always struck me as having character. Don't know why I never picked it up.  Welcome to the thread!  By the way, I too wish there were a simple way of re-ordering my pix and commentary.

EricQuebec

Thank you david and Dave for your comment and interest.
Eric Québec city

EricQuebec

Hello All,
Time to make my weekly update on this project.
At this time, most of the work is doing at office during my lunch time (Yes, I'm this kind of guy that not need to eat at noon)
There's several week ago, I've read something to stain the wood that seems to be very interesting and have prepare the staining solution, but never use it. So I've try it for this building.
The first step id doing the staining solution . I've put a piece of woolensteel in a pint of white  vinegar and let it soaked during 2 weeks. After this time, I've filter this mix and let the woolen steel dry at ambiant air during a week. Naturally, the woolen steel have rusting, and I've remix this rusted steel white the half of  my previous vinegar. (SO I've two strenght solution).
You have now three way to use this solution :
First : stain your wood with a brush and let it dry. The final result is a rubbish wood.
Second : stain you wood with a large amount of solution and cover it perfectly with aluminium foil, and let it dry : final result would be a greyish-slightly green wood.
Third : the Way I've used (see the 2 pices below). First I've stain the wood with the solution (the most strenght), and cover it with aluminium foil. Then, with the pounce wheel I've make my nail on the aluminium foil, and let it dry overnight.
The final result is an greyish aged wall with rusted nail holes.
Then I've dry brush the wall with titanium white paint, and finish it with a terry clothe to make an peeling paint effect (third pictures)
The kit came with nice sign, but after all effort that I've made on my wall, I'm little be reticent to cover it with paper sign. So One solution : paint the sign on the wall.
For doing this, I've make a photocopy of the sing ( remember I'm at office) and glue this copy on masking tape with glue stick. The masking tape was glue on a small piece of glass. Then I've recut all the letters with a new X-acto blade. and transfer all the this pieces on the wall (4th pictures ).
Then I'Ve repaint the wall with acrylic folkart paint : Heartland Blue. (5th pics)
Finaly, I've remove all the making tape letter and make a small dry brush of vintage white. Here's the final result (6th pictures)
Hope you enjoy, feel free to comment.
Thank you for watching
Erci Québec city

Dave K.

ak-milw

coors2u

Fantastic job on the sign Eric. Your enjoy seeing the methods you use to get the results you do.
Dustin

EricQuebec

Thank Dave, Andy and Dustin for your comment, I much appreciate it
Eric Québec.