2020 build challenge Scrap yard

Started by bparrish, March 26, 2020, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bparrish

So better late than never.............

I've had a coupla threads over the winter about building various stuff, vehicles and the paper interiors but I have not gotten on officially with the 2020 build.

I found a Bar Mills Shack pack so I am building them into a scrap yard.

I started by scratching a bunch of fence in an area near the engine house and on the edge of Nampa.

Then of course mission creep sets in and I have to build an access road and a bunch of grade crossings.

More tomorrow
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Opa George

postalkarl

I like it also. Can't wait for more.

Karl

GPdemayo

Looking forward to the Parrish touch on this one, I'll be looking in..... :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

bparrish

So I got to some of the signs today.
Here is the story behind this.   I was involved with the building of a railroad with a friend of over thirty years.  I did the scenicing and a number of structures on his railroad.  We lost Mac something over two years ago.  I built a scrap yard on his railroad but we never discussed what the name of the yard would be.  Some time later I wrote a switching order for his railroad using the Ship It software and the name turned up.  I brought a jump drive to him and he printed out the switching orders.  He laughed uncontrollably when he saw it............ Mac's Scrap.  You just can't say that and hold the two words apart.   Precisely ! ! ! !

I couldn't resist the Purveyor part on my version of this scrap yard.

An additional sign

More tomorrow.

bparrish

I got back to the scrap yard today.

I had no idea that building the car on the tow hook could take three days of glue sets and waiting for paint.

First........ here is one of the yard shacks.

Now to the car in the hook.   This is a REALLY early Jordan car.  Before 1963 they used aluminum foil for fenders.  This worked very well as when you crunch up the foil it stays.

The canopy is Kleenex with Floquil grimy black.   Model T Fords before 1912 were not only black.  What helps with the dating is that Fords 1915 and before had brass radiators and 1914 and earlier had the rear fenders go straight back once over the center line of the rear axle.  The first radius rear fenders was 1915.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

That's really nice Bob.  All you need is a Dave Frary figure picking through the junk to complete the scene.   ;)

Those Jordan vehicles are a real challenge.  I ended up giving the rest of my stash, with one exception, to Tom (ACL1504).  I just couldn't see myself building any more of them.  Better him than me.   ::)  I'm sure one or two of the FSM kits I have on the shelf probably have one tucked away inside the box.  George included one in a few of his kits over the years.   :)   
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Opa George

The truck and Model T make a nice vignette--results well worth the effort!  I had to say the business name out loud to get the joke. Deep down, we're all 12-years old. Love it. Thanks for sharing!
--Opa George

bparrish

George...

Thanx for the promotion ! ! !  All along I thought that I was only eleven years old.

Yes...... this has been a fun project.... I'm not done yet......

Thanx for looking in.

Bob

Lynnb

I like it. You did a nice job , never enough fences with signs palstered on them .
Great looking truck.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

bparrish

Lynn........... thanks for looking in.

I still have some way to go........ signs as  you observe.........

I'm working on a junk yard dog also........

see ya
Bob

ACL1504

Bob,

Great job on the yard and I love the smashed up Model T.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Looking great, especially the damaged car.

Jeff