2020 Build Challenge - FSM kit 145 Coal Tower

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2020, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the assembly with the sidewall glued in the right place. Most of the progress today was in the interior which can't be photographed until the glue dries. ;)

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I started to add the inter workings of the coal tower. There is a lot of detail and bracing to add so this will take a few days but here are some update photographs.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Since this is a before laser cutting kit - I'm actually getting to do some cutting and fitting. ;) ;D  And yes, I always add more bracing than is called for in the instructions. I don't like things moving with time.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

carl b

Carl

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: carl b on February 08, 2020, 12:27:29 PM
Coming along nicely John.

Carl

Thank you for following along and the kind words.  I know why George loves coal towers, and coal yards so much - it's all about the details.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have spent most of my time on this kit the last couple of days adding interior details and bracing. George added a lot of detail that I don't think anyone will see once this is added to my layout. The interior details sure looks good on the workbench though.  Especially when you can view it from any angle. I will post some pictures when I get the interior finished.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I have been adding the interior bracing details a few boards at a time because I have been working on some track work changes on my layout the past few days.  I got a real inspirational surprise in the mail today.  George sent me a letter (I can't tell you how long it's been since I received a hand written letter) that included the original magazine article that inspired this kit. The letter is a real nice surprise - thank you George. Hand written letters are so much more personnel - I really miss them.  I took pictures of the magazine article to post here.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is the first page of the article.  George commented that there was some details left of the FSM kit, that I may want to add.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Looking great, John - and so nice to receive a letter from George.

Jock Oliphant is a legend!  His flotation mine is probably my favourite ever structure.  Maybe I'll get the courage one day to attempt to recreate it.  If anyone has a set of plans for it...???  Really enjoying watching you build this masterpiece.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

I'm making progress on all the inside bracing.  I think I've used every pair of tweezers, clamp and glue applicator I own reaching all the places I need to attach pieces.  This really is a highly detailed kit and a lot of fun to put together.

John Siekirk