FSM Westside Auto

Started by Zephyrus52246, September 07, 2019, 05:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Felt like building an FSM kit while I continue adding landforms/sidings to The Empire.  Splitting my time will make this build even slower than my normal ones.  ::) Here's the kit with a picture from the kit, we'll see how close I come to this.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Picture of the usual suspects.  I've never seen the castings so neatly placed before.  I'll bet Mr. Sellios was bored out of his mind doing it to all the kits. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Bracing time!  A little tedious, but always exciting in a way as it's the start of a kit!  Using one of the 1/8 inch pieces of wood as a guide as the real brace is placed 1/8 inch in from the side.  Better remove it quickly if any glue oozed out!

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The castings didn't require much filing/cleanup.  They then all get a detergent bath, scrub and rinse.  Then set out to dry.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

They are separated into the "wood group" which will be sprayed with tan camo spray paint as a primer/base coat, and "other" which were sprayed flat black.  I attach them to cards to maneuver them in the airbrush booth.  After drying, some have to be flipped over to spray the other side.  The second side coat is presently drying.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The insides of the walls with the bracing were sprayed with dark brown (my can of black spray paint crapped out, but I went to Lowe's yesterday for a new one).   The main structure is stucco, so the instructions call to assemble the walls before starting the stucco.  It's soon going back into the spray booth for an exterior spray to seal both sides before stucco is applied. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The plastic doors/windows have been removed from their sprues and the cut off areas smoothed off.  They've been bathed, scrubbed and rinsed as well.  They're ready for the airbrush booth.  Maybe tomorrow...

Jeff

vinceg

Good stuff, Jeff. This is the next kit I am going to build. Definitely following along.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Dave K.

Ooooh...looking forward to your thread!

fbernard65

This was a very fun kit to build.  Enjoy.  Looking forward to your progress.

Frank

EricQuebec

I will follow your effort too.
Eric

Raymo

Sweet! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Dennis Bourey

Jeff, Cant wait. I have this kit and wanna see how this goes :)...........Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Jeff

Great to see the lid off one of those yellow boxes!  It looks like you are off to a great start.  I will be following along.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Jeff.

I'm watching on from the sideline.

Cheers, Mark.