Simulated Tar Paper Roofing

Started by DACS, July 16, 2014, 12:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DACS

I thought I would throw my hat in the ring and show how I do Tar Paper roofing.

I will use brown wrapping paper, the kind used for mailing packages through the mail.  One roll will last an eternity and do untold numbers of structures.  :D

As I work in 'O' scale, I will normally cut strips 3/4" in width and 6" in length.  This, of course, represent 36"x24' pieces.  You can, of course, make them any length and width you want.  I choose this length for ease of managability.
You can also just roll these up and make them as unused roofing rolls.  Good warehouse dock loads! How about a truck loaded with these heading to a roofing job?  :) :)

Placing the strips on another piece of wrapping paper, I will then color them using an A/I mix of black India ink and alcohol.  These inks do come in other colors.  I buy them at a local art supply store.

I will allow this to dry between applications.  I usually end up doing about three.  The amount of ink you have in the mix of course, will determine how dark or bright a stain you end up with.
The side you stained, will end up pretty solid in color.  The back will usually be a blotchy mix.  I have used both sides.
You will notice on the example, that the darker side, is varigated.   How is it that Bob Ross used to say, "there are no mistakes, just happy accidents!"  Nothing is beyond using.  ;)

Then, whatever size roof you are wanting to cover, start laying it out.  I always leave an overlap on the roof edges.

Using white glue as my adhesive of choice in this,  I work my way up the roof.  Overlapping the next over the next...etc..

Using my trusty razor blade, I will go under the overlapping and lift.  Giving the look of dried out and lifting tar paper.

If you want it to look newer, skip this step.

If you want really aged tar paper, then take a brush with just plain water and soak some spots of the roof.

Then just start worrying it with a razor blade or your finger.

Once I have it where I want it, I then using weathering powders to finish 'er off!

This particular roof, is for a small pump house for the engine service facilities on the HWCRR.

Here are pics of a couple of structures I have used this method on.

Dave HWCRR
Seattle
I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

ReadingBob

Hi Dave,

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing this tip.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Quote from: ReadingBob on July 16, 2014, 01:21:51 PM
Hi Dave,

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing this tip.   :D

Dave,

What Reading Bob said!

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bparrish

Dave..........

Very cool.......... the abrasions are terrific..

thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

jbolen61

Thanks Dave great tip. Very realistic .  8). Also may i add when are going to show us the engine house these guys would love to see that.

EricQuebec

Simply amazing. Thanks to take time to share this technic with us
Éric Québec city

DACS

Bob, Tom, Bob, JBolen, Eric...thank you for the drop in and comments guys.  :)

Now, as for the part about showing pics of the enginehouse.  Where would I do that?  What forum?  Hmmmm?  It is still at present an unfinished work.

Dave HWCRR
Seattle

I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

bparrish

Dave........

Either baggage or scratch building.

With work like that............... so what ? ? ? ?

Put up the photos

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

DACS

'They are up!  in Baggage

Dave HWCRR
Seattle

deemery

I've had good luck using telephone book paper for tarpaper/roofing paper or canvas roofing in HO scale.  I treat it pretty much the same way you do here.  The telephone book paper is thinner and has a finer texture appropriate for HO scale, and it'll get realistic small wrinkles when you glue it down.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

coors2u

Dustin

deemery

Quote from: coors2u on July 17, 2014, 05:13:21 AM
What is a telephone book?
It's a hardcopy printout from your LDAP server.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to