FOS Harbor Master Office build.

Started by ACL1504, July 21, 2020, 06:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on July 30, 2020, 07:17:16 AM
Deck looks great, really like the variations of color in the planks.

-Steven

Steven,

Thanks, much appreciated. And, Happy Birthday again.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In response to an email, there is a reason I only have the deck boards split on one end, the right.

The main building will cover the other end so those boards won't even show. There you have it.

Good question though.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Tom.

I think a lot of us tend to leave the staining of all the end timbers until the very end of the build (I certainly do). I agree it should be done.  Are you planning on adding nail holes to your deck?

Cheers, Mark.

Jerry

Nice deck Tom.

Your right it's important to remember to stain those cut off ends.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery

Tom, do you do anything specific to keep the stain applied to the ends from coming out significantly darker than the rest of the board?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Quote from: mark dalrymple on July 30, 2020, 03:06:34 PM
Looking good, Tom.

I think a lot of us tend to leave the staining of all the end timbers until the very end of the build (I certainly do). I agree it should be done.  Are you planning on adding nail holes to your deck?

Cheers, Mark.

Cheers Mark,

Thanks for stopping by. I agree some leave it to the end. But when a photo is posted and it can be seen, one can only assume it wasn't done.

As a matter of fact, I added the deck nail holes this morning. Photo later. However, I didn't add them across each stringer as it was just to much, to busy for the small deck. It will be difficult to see them where it the kit will be located anyway.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on July 30, 2020, 03:20:06 PM
Nice deck Tom.

Your right it's important to remember to stain those cut off ends.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the compliment and for stopping by. Good to see you.  8)

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on July 30, 2020, 04:03:55 PM
Tom, do you do anything specific to keep the stain applied to the ends from coming out significantly darker than the rest of the board?

dave

Dave,

Great question. Yes, I try to touch up the end with a lighter stain than the one used on the boards. However, as it is an end piece, they tend to soak up more and look darker.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I started building second deck this morning. I was thinking that the owner of the structure wouldn't want the gas pump on the same deck and next to his store or upstairs apartment.

Now that I've mentioned the apartment. The "no wake" sign covers pretty much the entire upper wall portion. I was going to cut in four more windows but then I wouldn't have room for the sign. So, I opted for the sign.

More on this second deck later in the build.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Pilings for the main deck was next in the build. I cut 12 and started gluing them in place making sure they were all vertical.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

No problems so far here. These piles are considered secondary piles.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 30, 2020, 05:15:38 PM
Quote from: deemery on July 30, 2020, 04:03:55 PM

dave

Dave,

Great question. Yes, I try to touch up the end with a lighter stain than the one used on the boards. However, as it is an end piece, they tend to soak up more and look darker.

Tom ;D

By "light", do you just thin the stain some more, or do you actually change the color? 

(I wonder if touching the end with some sanding sealer would help...  I should experiment with that...)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

I next added a pile cap. These are the 2 X 12's shown on the bottom of the pilings.

When dry, I removed the back half of the pile caps. Shown later in the build.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on July 30, 2020, 05:35:27 PM

By "light", do you just thin the stain some more, or do you actually change the color? 

(I wonder if touching the end with some sanding sealer would help...  I should experiment with that...)

dave

Dave,

I mean I change to a lighter color. I think sanding sealer will seal the wood grain and not allow any stains to the end pieces. I used a light gray for the ends on this project and it still came out a little dark. Over all though, it's hardly noticeable.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then added 12 short primary piles. The horizontal and cross bracing was then added.

In this next photo you can see where I cut off the back pile caps. I also shortened the rear pilings as these will be on the river bank.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com