FOS Harbor Master Office build.

Started by ACL1504, July 21, 2020, 06:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge

Tom - Good idea to enlarge the deck.  Room for more junk and maybe even a table or two for relaxing while Newt refills the gas tanks.

ACL1504

Quote from: Judge on July 28, 2020, 03:50:24 PM
Tom - Good idea to enlarge the deck.  Room for more junk and maybe even a table or two for relaxing while Newt refills the gas tanks.

Bill,

Later in the build you'll see what I have in mind for the larger deck. Yes, more room for junk and Newt's stuff. I'm sure you'll like the changes.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The bents and stringers were all stained with Hunterline Medium Brown as I mentioned earlier.

I finished adding the stringers to the bents.

I placed a weight on top to hold it all down while the glue dried.

More in a few.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The 2 X 12 deck boards were stained with three different Hunterline A&I stains. I used Driftwood, Sepia brown and Cordovan Brown.

When the boards were dry, I started gluing them to the top of the stringers. I used a flat weight so I could glue the outside boards flush with the side of the main deck. This is a good idea so you don't get to the other side and find the boards got a little off line as you glued them in place.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I also randomly cut a few boards short and used the cut to glue the other boards against each other on the end. Be sure you do this only above one of the stringers.

It's also a very good idea to use weights to hold the deck boards flat as the glue dries.

With the decking in place, I made sure the dock was still square when finished. It was. :o

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I believe this next step is very important and often over looked even by great modelers. I've seen it on this forum and it distracts from a beautifully built model.

When you cut a board and glue it in place, don't forget to go over the cut ends with the same stain or paint color you used on the uncut boards.

This deck will look unfinished if I didn't go back and touch up the bare wood. I used a small brush to touch up the ends with the stain I used on the wood.

After the photos were taken, I did touch the ends of the ones shown above.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Even though the bottom of the dock won't be seen, I sanded off the small bits of paper still stuck to the bottom from gluing it to the template.

At this point in the build, the top of the decking has some "out of scale" fuzz on the boards. This is easily taken care of.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I use an Emory board, rough side down, to remove the fuzz. This also serves as a double purpose.  One to remove the fuzz and to lightly sand the boards to give them a weathered and worn look.

Here is the finished deck showing the three different boards colors. It is more natural now and "not all one color".

Finished for this fine day.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Oh yes, I like that deck. 
--Opa George

WigWag Workshop

Deck looks great, really like the variations of color in the planks.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com