FSM Westside Auto

Started by Zephyrus52246, September 07, 2019, 05:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

It's looking good. Will be following along.

Karl

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Karl.  The windows were "glassed" with Gallery Glass.  I prefer to use acetate, but the arches would be impossible to cut.  Shades were added (as well as a wood "blank" to replace a broken front window).  Trim for the doors added as well. Next up is adding the doors, which I'll do with five minute epoxy.  I think on the large ones the Aleen's Tacky glue may not hold them.

Jeff

Opa George

That color combo is excellent, Jeff.  The finish on the stucco looks great and I love to see the little extra details like the wood panel covering the broken window.
--George

PRR Modeler

Very nice Jeff. The color reminds me of old stucco buildings you see in the southwest.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen.  As I said, the doors are large and heavy, so I glued wood supports for them, as they fit behind and in front of the wall.  I put on the small back door with epoxy, but some of the shiny epoxy showed, and I had to use some Vallejo flat finish to cover it up.  I used Aileen's Super Thick tacky glue on the two large doors, and they seemed to hold OK.  I then put on a large amount over the edges, being careful not to ooze any out of the gaps.  You folks who like to light up the interiors will have a chore covering all the gaps so there's no light leaks.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Next up was the front entry door.  This was a real pain.  I couldn't figure out a good way to do this except fit the pieces, glue the main door in and then the sides.  The opening isn't centered on the back of the wall, so you have to center the door and then place the edge pieces on . 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Again, I put a piece of stripwood on the bottom of the door so it would stay upright after gluing in place, I placed one of the pieces in front of it so it would be set back the right amount, centered it (you can see the door is centered but the "center" of the step is off a bit, as the interior walls are different widths.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

It's not perfect, but it'll do.  I noticed afterward that George made his side walls the stucco color.  I'm not changing it.   :D   I cleaned the windows with some windex on a swab.  Next up some black paper in each section as a view block, then it's on to the roof.  Also the electric meter was added.  I still need to add two more details to the front and some wires from the electric weatherhead.  The wood colored stripe in front of the door on the step is light showing from overhead lights.

Jeff

Opa George

That is looking very good, Jeff.  Very ingenious way to brace the doors until dry.
--Opa George

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Opa.  The roof is interesting.  There's a sub roof which George calls the "Ceiling" or lower roof. This confused me at first as there is a "lower roof" on the card as well.  It fits on the top of the structure, and the hip roof sits on top of this.  Some of the edge is exposed (on top and bottom) so it's painted the trim color.  I wish I'd thought of using a styrene piece for this as after painting and brushing with A&I it kinda warped on the edges, the center piece is braced inside. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The hip roof is an irregular shaped item.  George notes to make sure it's even when put together (before it's glued).  I had to trim a tiny bit off one lower side to make the edges even.  The tarpaper guide lines are a real plus to get them all even.  I use the tool in the foreground to put nailholes along the edge of the roofing and the Sharpie to color the edges so the brown paper color doesn't show.  Transfer tape makes the attachment of the roof paper a breeze.  I colored the roof strips with spray paint, flat black, grey and a very small amount of earth color. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Well, after three months of other chores/stuff, I'm back at this.  The roof bracing done and the roofing on.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The instructions have you put the roof on, then do the cornices.  I did them first as it's easier (for me) without the roof on.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Next were the corner signs.  These are meant to cover the gaps in the walls (the instructions have you stucco each wall and then glue them together).  I stuccoed the walls after they were together, eliminating the gaps.  As the walls are bumpy, there are some very small gaps in places, so the back of the sign needs blackening to hide this.  I made sure they were straight with a 90 degree tool

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The lower roof is on as well.

Jeff