FSM Chippy Hollow Hardware

Started by SteveCuster, December 07, 2019, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairball

Quote from: postalkarl on April 14, 2020, 02:14:32 PM
Hey Steve:

I also have this FSM kit. I was looking through my stuff stored in boxes just see what was in them. Your not gonna believe what I found. I didn't even know I had there nor do I know where they came from anymore. As can be seen they are plaster castings. As can be seen one wall need to be repaired somehow.

Karl

KARL..........from the looks of those hydrocal castings they most likely are very thin and thin equals fragile.  Will take a lot of creativity to duplicate some doors and windows to fit those openings.   Because JIMMY offers them as a licensed re-issue ??  I would buy the complete set for the structure/kit.

If you somehow manage to crack a wall, never insert any type of glue into the broken joint and the joint will not close up.  Better to use 1/8 or 1/4 sq basswood behind it as a stiffener.

mike lynch....  madmike3434..........HAIRBALL

The best way to attach the walls together is use a 1/4" square basswood stick and coat two a-joining sides with HOUSEHOLD GOOP .  It will bond to the hydrocal and still offer a little flex to the goop.  You will be able to pick up the walls assembled and handle it , safely.

SteveCuster

Thanks guys!

Karl, very cool find. Do you still have the original metal castings from the kit? I would say you could use those wall castings with Jimmy's window castings but I've never tried to secure heavy white metal windows to hydrocal walls. Might have some issues there. Before I started this kit I made molds for the walls and windows/doors of the little brick shed but not the main building. If you still have the original unbuilt FSM kit I'll walk you through making some resin copies of the windows and doors if you'd like. The resin should glue to the hydrocal easily.

Steve Custer

Lynnb

Quote from: hairball on April 14, 2020, 03:33:30 PM
Quote from: postalkarl on April 14, 2020, 02:14:32 PM
Hey Steve:

I also have this FSM kit. I was looking through my stuff stored in boxes just see what was in them. Your not gonna believe what I found. I didn't even know I had there nor do I know where they came from anymore. As can be seen they are plaster castings. As can be seen one wall need to be repaired somehow.

Karl

KARL..........from the looks of those hydrocal castings they most likely are very thin and thin equals fragile.  Will take a lot of creativity to duplicate some doors and windows to fit those openings.   Because JIMMY offers them as a licensed re-issue ??  I would buy the complete set for the structure/kit.

If you somehow manage to crack a wall, never insert any type of glue into the broken joint and the joint will not close up.  Better to use 1/8 or 1/4 sq basswood behind it as a stiffener.

mike lynch....  madmike3434..........HAIRBALL

The best way to attach the walls together is use a 1/4" square basswood stick and coat two a-joining sides with HOUSEHOLD GOOP .  It will bond to the hydrocal and still offer a little flex to the goop.  You will be able to pick up the walls assembled and handle it , safely.

Hey Mike hows it been, hows the Hotrod coming? You back to scratchbuilding?
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0