The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Oberleitner

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 20, 2019, 08:37:19 AM
Cousin Brucie,

Great photo of a nice High Rail layout. A bit to modern for me but I love the subject matter.

Tom ;D

I was only able to go down for the national train show this year.   When I saw this model at the show I thought Tom has got to see this!  At least the citizen of that railroad don't have to worry about running out of Pepsi.

Cousin Brucie, The Pepsi Kid

ACL1504

Cousin Brucie,

At least you were able to get to that one. Looks like a great show.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Prior to additional work on the bridge I needed to do a little house cleaning.

I started with my work area and moved next to the desk.

Continued -

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The photo below shows a support brace for the top of the old bridge.

I cut these in half at the gap but no photo was taken.

The gray piece in the upper part of the next photo came off the top as well. I was gong to make three from the Central Valley parts, shown in black.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then remembered when I removed the old layout, I kept a few of the old viaduct supports I made using Central Valley parts.

Back in a few, time for a cold one. Diet Pepsi of course.  8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Using a #17 Xacto blade, I made quick the disassembly.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

These were the parts I was after.

I'll use three, one in the middle and one on each side of the middle. I wanted to use one for two braces but they were only long enough for one girder brace.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Using the Micro Mark mitre box and fine tooth Xacto saw blade, I cut three to length.

I first glued the top/center piece in place and made sure it was level.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Yep, it's level.

I also made sure they were all square to both sides of the bridge.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When those three braces were glued in place and thoroughly dry, I then glued one half of the support I previously cut in half to the inside.

One side was glued and let dry overnight. I used small squares to make sure they were properly aligned.

I'll have more of the bridge construction late tomorrow afternoon.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

Tom,

As usual, great concept and even better execution.  You should have been in the bridge building business!
Jerry

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 20, 2019, 07:53:35 PM
Tom,

As usual, great concept and even better execution.  You should have been in the bridge building business!

Jerry,

Thank you for the very kind and generous compliment. As for making a living at bridge building, TOO MUCH MATH involved.

In HO scale it all works. ;D ;D ;D

Tom  8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

BandOGuy

An excellent demonstration of why you never burn (or discard) your bridges behind you.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

ACL1504

Quote from: BandOGuy on October 21, 2019, 09:25:37 AM
An excellent demonstration of why you never burn (or discard) your bridges behind you.

Chip,

You are absolutely correct. And, may I add that you should never burn your bridges unless you are a damn good swimmer.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com