FSM Fox Run Milling - scratch/kit bash

Started by ACL1504, September 02, 2019, 05:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

This section of wall is a scale 22 feet wide.

I'll find the center line at 11 scale feet and mark it.

More in a few. I think I'm going to need some Diet Pepsi. 8)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I want the four windows centered on the left and right of the centerline.

I'll then mark the left and right center lines. These will be 5.5 scale feet from the edges and center line. Draw these lines.

I'll place the four windows back on the wood, er paper, to make another test location.  At this point, I'm satisfied with the locations.

More in a few.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

So far my paper matches the original wall section.

Once you determine the height you want your windows, place the plastic window on the paper. I make sure I center the window over the vertical line I previously drew.

I then mark the bottom and top of the window. Use the rear frame of the window to make the marks, not the front.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Once the bottom two windows are marked, I measure up (whatever distance determined) and then mark the location of the upper two windows.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then place the window on the paper and mark the edges using a sharp pencil.

Again, remember to mark the window with the edge of the rear window frame.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

You can see the four windows are marked and centered on the left and right vertical lines.

Using the short horizontal lines from marking the window locations, I then used a metal ruler and drew the upper and lower horizontal lines. Windows were placed on the paper for another test look.

They look centered and where I want them.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then mark the outer edges of the four windows. These are the four short vertical lines on paper as shown below.

Again, using the metal ruler, draw the vertical lines for the four windows.

Now I have the pencil lines centered for all four windows. These are centered vertically and not horizontally. You can see the lower windows are further up the wall than the windows from the top. However, if you wanted to center all the windows, use the same method for centering them vertically.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

There are many lines on the paper and can be confusing when you start to cut out the openings.

I use a red leaded pencil to mark the cut lines for the windows.

Using the red lines, I cut the openings as shown below.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion in my previous narrative.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

MAP

Been following along Tom.  Looking great!  Thanks again for all of the pics & narrative on how you do it.
Mark

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: MAP on September 06, 2019, 06:31:48 AM
Been following along Tom.  Looking great!  Thanks again for all of the pics & narrative on how you do it.

Mark,

Thank you for following along and for the compliment. You are very welcome and I enjoy sharing some of my techniques.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After cutting the openings, I realized the height of the freight door is for a freight car.

I had to change this as it won't be a trackside structure.

I'll lower the freight door height by 1ft. 10.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The tall door will also have to be lowered.

The freight door will be enlarged to the size of the large Tichy bay door.

When cutting door and window openings, I usually keep the "Plug" from that opening until the walls are glued together. In the photo above, notice the large door opening cut out portion is in place.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The large freight door and tall door have now been installed. The top of the tall door wall section needs to be filled in.

I removed the top portion of the original plug and glued it above the door. You can still see the cut lines. These will not be seen when the door overhang is installed.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com