FSM Fox Run Milling - scratch/kit bash

Started by ACL1504, September 02, 2019, 05:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I then glued the building together in halves.

I also glued sub assemblies together as shown below.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The main building was glued together. Clamps were used to make sure it was square and stayed square as the glue dries.

When the glue dries, the moisture evaporates and the glue has a tendency to pulled walls out of square, even just al little. This is why I always use clamps to hold the walls square until the glue is completely dry.

I also use squares to ensure the four corners are set prior finalizing the clamps.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

MAP

Looking good Tom!  Another great tip on kit construction.  In a previous post I saw that you cut a piece of timber to use for glue removal.  I use a #17 chisel blade to do the same thing.  Really helps to get that overflow of glue out of the way. 
Mark

Oldguy

Remember that day in high school geometry class when you thought - "when would I ever need to use this stuff."  Well, that day is here.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

deemery

Quote from: Oldguy on September 12, 2019, 10:37:01 PM
Remember that day in high school geometry class when you thought - "when would I ever need to use this stuff."  Well, that day is here.

My brother was a pro carpenter.  He used to amaze his co-workers by using trig to figure out the length and angles for boards, etc.  (The common approach was 'trial and error'.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Opa George

Quote from: deemery on September 13, 2019, 10:28:23 AM

My brother was a pro carpenter.  He used to amaze his co-workers by using trig to figure out the length and angles for boards, etc.  (The common approach was 'trial and error'.)

dave

Aha, that explains it. The trial & error crew must have been the ones who built my house long ago. Not a square joint in the place.
--George

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jerryrbeach

Tom,

As usual, coming along nicely with your ever present clear explanations throughout the build.
Jerry

ACL1504

Quote from: MAP on September 12, 2019, 06:23:23 PM
Looking good Tom!  Another great tip on kit construction.  In a previous post I saw that you cut a piece of timber to use for glue removal.  I use a #17 chisel blade to do the same thing.  Really helps to get that overflow of glue out of the way.

Mark,

Thanks very much. I have used #17 blades in the past but I kept getting them caught on the bracing.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Bob,

Yes, I remember making that comment several times on most of the high school classes. I only took math classes in JUCO but none at UF.

Tom
;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

dave

Dave,

As a young boy, I would watch the carpenters who worked of my father's construction company. Some of the cuts amazed me. I remember when one of them told me about the Fibonacci spiral. Amazing.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Opa George on September 13, 2019, 11:10:56 AM

dave

Aha, that explains it. The trial & error crew must have been the ones who built my house long ago. Not a square joint in the place.
--George

George,

I think the "trail and error" method is still used for most, if not all, new house construction  today.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on September 14, 2019, 09:51:02 PM
Tom

Very fine work my friend.

John,

Thank you very much my friend, much appreciate you stopping by.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 16, 2019, 08:45:29 AM
Tom,

As usual, coming along nicely with your ever present clear explanations throughout the build.

Jerry,

Thank you for the kind compliment. I took a Creative Writing class while at UF, the prof. said, "If at all possible, write as clear and unambiguous as possible." Then he said, "Then on the other hand, it's mostly not possible."  We all had that deer in the headlights look.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The four main walls are now glued together. I plan on having some interior lighting so I added a floor to keep the first and second floors from looking like one big light. I'll add some interior walls out of cardboard later.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com