Trying something new...Sylvan Scale Models

Started by richbeau, July 22, 2019, 11:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richbeau

As a teenager while all my friends produced great chopped and channeled models, I was a miserable failure. It's 40+ years later...
Usually I buy assembled HO-scale vehicles but on a whim I thought I'd try working out of my comfort zone.
I just purchased my first Sylvan Scale Models 1937 Chevrolet Panel Truck Kit (V-036).
Any and all tips, tricks, or informative links are welcome. 
Seriously at ground zero.
--Rich

jerryrbeach

Rich,

Did you check these threads?  IMO Dan does a nice job showing what materials he uses as well as lots of tips and tricks.

http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=2602.0

http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=1976.0
Jerry

richbeau

Thanks Jerry.

I thought these were on the old Kit Forums so I went searching over there. I guess the old brain must have a short circuit somewhere.  :-X

I know Dan (we're maybe 30 minutes from one another). We occasionally meet a George Sellio's. Hopefully he'll pipe in.

--Rich

richbeau

Hoping I can get away with a rattle can or two for the first couple since I don't own an airbrush setup.
--Rich

jerryrbeach

Rich,

I often use rattle cans to paint my vehicles.  I like Krylon and Rustoleum camo colors.  I also have good results from using Model Master and Tamiya rattle cans.  In my experience some Tamiya cans have a finer spray than others.  I do warm the cans prior to painting, usually setting them in front of my infrared heater in the winter or placing them in the sun in the summer.  I also spray from a foot or so away and use several light coats with an hour or so between coats.  I use Vallejo acrylics for brush painting tires and other contrasting colors.  I thin the Vallejo paints with blue windshield washer fluid and apply two or three light coats.  I find the trick to avoiding brush marks is to brush the paint on a evenly as possible and let it dry, don't try to fuss with it once you have it in place.  The second and third coats will fill in the color.  I use chalks and powders for weathering.  I do not "fix" the chalks or powders and try to handle the vehicles as little as possible once they are done.  Sylvan offers nothing for my era, so my vehicles are largely plastic or cast metal.  HTH
Jerry

Raymo

I'm here Rich! If you get stuck, shoot me an e-mail through messenger.

Raymo

Rich, My Taxi build should help with your build. There are a lot of common parts between the 2 kits

richbeau

Quote from: jerryrbeach on July 22, 2019, 09:43:12 PM
Rich,
I often use rattle cans to paint my vehicles.  I like Krylon and Rustoleum camo colors.  I also have good results from using Model Master and Tamiya rattle cans.  In my experience some Tamiya cans have a finer spray than others.  I do warm the cans prior to painting, usually setting them in front of my infrared heater in the winter or placing them in the sun in the summer.  I also spray from a foot or so away and use several light coats with an hour or so between coats.  I use Vallejo acrylics for brush painting tires and other contrasting colors.  I thin the Vallejo paints with blue windshield washer fluid and apply two or three light coats.  I find the trick to avoiding brush marks is to brush the paint on a evenly as possible and let it dry, don't try to fuss with it once you have it in place.  The second and third coats will fill in the color.  I use chalks and powders for weathering.  I do not "fix" the chalks or powders and try to handle the vehicles as little as possible once they are done.  Sylvan offers nothing for my era, so my vehicles are largely plastic or cast metal.  HTH
Thanks for the tips Jerry

I've got a Hobby shop not too far away and they carry a lot of Model Master and Tamiya rattle cans. I have used Vallejo paints but have never thinned them. Mostly I've used Mig paints which are very thin. Really nice for building up layers over a base coat on a structure wall. In any case the paint suggestions are helpful.

Thanks again
--Rich

richbeau

Quote from: Raymo on July 23, 2019, 06:20:43 AM
Rich, My Taxi build should help with your build. There are a lot of common parts between the 2 kits.

Quote from: Raymo on July 23, 2019, 06:16:04 AM
I'm here Rich! If you get stuck, shoot me an e-mail through messenger.

Will do.
Thanks
--Rich

postalkarl

Hey Rich:

I'll be following along with interest.

Karl