Backwoods NE in Florida

Started by cuse, December 21, 2013, 08:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

John , what a masterpiece in forced perspective .
I love photo's, don't we all.

cuse

Thanks guys. I'm really having fun with the scenery on this. I need to suck it  up and finish the Tortoises, so I can run a little train reliably (through the frogs).

ReadingBob

Quote from: Cuse on January 09, 2014, 07:51:56 PMThe presently incomplete area will feature a Foscale enginehouse (on Reading Bob's worktable at the moment) and a small pulpwood loading siding.

Oh my.  Now the pressure is really on.  I have to come up with a build that will be as impressive as the surrounding scenery.  Thankfully the FOS Engine House is really neat model.  That'll make the task a little bit easier (I hope).   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Erieman

John,

Thanks for the pics. The layout really looks great. You are probably glad to be home and get back to the layout. Glad we could get together while you were here in Scottsdale. Hope you enjoyed the two layouts.  Keep up the great work. I am still working on some ideas for Tom's new layout and I'll email them to him. Have a great day.

Frank / Erieman

cuse

I did a fair amount today...I put down a layer of Mod Podge and I have a predicament. It's been about 8 hours and it's still full of white blobs, but the blobs are dry to the touch. I've used MP many times before, so I know this is irregular -maybe I have a spoiled batch (it's been around a while and was the last of a large bottle). I'll wait until tomorrow and just paint over it, if need be, before applying more coats of new Mod Podge.

I've also got a pic of the Grand Canyon Railway steamer (wasn't moving the day we visited, but still photogenic)

John

jrmueller

Great looking layout John. I forgot, what scale are you using?  Jim from Pelham
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

cuse

HOn30 Jim...HO scale with N gauge track.

Thanks for checking in...John

Bntrainmaster

John,
Just  wanted to say you have done a phenomenal job in such a small space. This gives us guys who have a very limited space some incentive to be able do something. What you have done here is something to be very proud off.  Keep up the GREAT job and thank you for sharing.  If you get a chance could you post a copy of the actual plan?  Thanks.......

cuse

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Today, in bits and pieces, I got a bit done. In the N scale area, I placed about a dozen figures, some details from the scrapbox, and planted a row of telephone poles including lines. I also went through my kits and stared at an undecided area for a while before finally deciding what could fit without compromising the scenic spaciousness I'm trying so hard for. In the photos I'm mocking up a Pulpwood loading yard. In the distance, the raw wood walls are from a Bar Mills Shaw's Ridge kit which I was nervous about until I rubber banded it together to check the footprint. Directly behind it will be a Fos Enginehouse that I am determined to hide among the trees. So there will need to be some pretty dense natural growth right behind the Bar Mills kit to isolate the enginehouse scene.

John

cuse

Here's what I'm working on...Shaw's Ridge by Bar Mills. I got this kit at the Expo for no reason or intended placement (which you can all understand). It's just a cool little structure!. What you see here is a very basic shell, there is an extended front with two garage doors, external roof supports (never heard of 'em, but they look cool), a couple of skylights, awnings over the windows, and a shed roof off of the wall with the big sign.

John

cuse

BTW, that gap at the bottom is intentional...it makes it easier to plant the shrub that will conceal the corner.  ;)

Zephyrus52246

I have a similar gap on the bottom of my Myer's and Son structure.   :) You're layout is taking shape nicely.

Jeff

cuse

More progress on Shaw's Ridge. That's it for today, I think.

Next up...the roof

John

ReadingBob

Shaw's is looking good John (as is the layout).   :D  I'm looking forward to seeing it.  I started bracing the walls for the engine house today.  There will be a build thread to follow along at some point. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ak-milw

John, What did you use on the roof above the overhead doors? looks very nice, as does the whole building.

8)