MORRISTOWN & ERIE RAILROAD - WESTERN DIVISION - PART THREE

Started by Erieman, March 17, 2020, 11:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Frank

The photos are displaying correctly - I don't have to turn my computer around to look at them and they zoom properly - The new area looks great.

If these are with your old camera then I think we have found the problem. Cell phone cameras were the best on my last version of my phone.  Now they are trying to do too much for us and screwing up the photos. I don't like what my iPhone 8 does to the colors and it's worthless to see if things are straight - like looking through a fisheye lens. As I told you during our phone conversation I'm going to get my old SLR out for my model evaluation pictures.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Frank

Can you still get into the build that the highway passes through?  Some interior lighting and interior detail would look great.  Just a thought - if you can access the area anymore.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey Frank:

Beautiful bridge. Keep the photo flowing.

Karl

ACL1504

Frank,

Its all looking great and coming together nicely. Now, get back to work.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 06, 2020, 12:42:38 PM
Frank,

Its all looking great and coming together nicely. Now, get back to work.

Tom ;D

Thanks Tom,

Don't worry, i'm in the train room every day. Lots of buildings to be made or modified in the new city layout. Thanks or stopping by. More soon.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Quote from: postalkarl on May 06, 2020, 12:11:03 PM
Hey Frank:

Beautiful bridge. Keep the photo flowing.

Karl

Good Morning Karl. Thanks for stopping by. Still have many details to go on the brigge / elevated roadway. Want to put in traffic lights ( working ones). Now on the hunt for something i like.

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Quote from: S&S RR on May 05, 2020, 08:10:07 PM
Frank

Can you still get into the build that the highway passes through?  Some interior lighting and interior detail would look great.  Just a thought - if you can access the area anymore.

Good Morning John.

Yes, i can still can get into the building. I thought i might install flashing yellow lights at both ends of the building above the roadway?

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Each day i try to make more progress on the cityscape. This is large area of about 7 ft. x 16 ft.. A portion of the city scape has been completed for quites some time. Most of the structures in the completed area are single story buildings, mostly kits or scratchbuilt structures. The rest of the cityscape  will be multistory buildings, an elevated highway thru the town. I have been attempting to break this large area into smaller, more manageable area, to allow me to compose, arrange and detail each portion of the cityscape. Easier said than done, but i am working on it. Here is a series of photos showing an aerial view. The Aerial view allows you to conceptualize buildings within this space. The additional photos show modified buildings of cardstock or plastic, which allow me to select, add or rearrange the  structures within the location.
I have started along the back wall, working forward. This requires the use of the topside creeper to get access to many of the buildings. While the creeper aids in accessing the area, it is difficult on the body. You can withstand just so much of reaching across the layout. I guess i should have planned better, but it i too late now. So-o-o. i spend quite some time on the creeper.

Enjoy the pics. I will be posting progressive photos as i proceed with this journey.

Frank / Erieman   

S&S RR

John Siekirk

vinceg

Wow - that is big time. It's going to be spectacular (already is). How did you get the highway to bend? I thought at least some of those parts looked like Rix components but there are curves. How did you do that?
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Erieman

Quote from: vinceg on May 12, 2020, 08:20:21 AM
Wow - that is big time. It's going to be spectacular (already is). How did you get the highway to bend? I thought at least some of those parts looked like Rix components but there are curves. How did you do that?

Vince,

Thank you for your kind words. You are right. I used Rix Early Railings for the guard railings. Now you asked how did i bend them. Actually my first attempt was a disaster. I used a propane torch and you can guess what happened. After putting out the small blaze ( actually it just lights up and totally warps) i looked for another option. If you look close to the inside of the guard rail, you will see notches. I took the railing and cut notches with my band saw on 1/16 increments at the base of the part to allow it to bend. Voila, it worked perfectly. A bit of putty and it looks like new. The elevated highway is a bit over 14 feet long, not including the intersecting bridge road.

I purchased sheet styrene for the road and cut the curve as i desired, then glued on the guard railings. Some grey primer and viola, it was done. Installing it on the layout was another challenge. As i mentioned, thank heaven for the topside creeper. The elevated roadway was built in three sections, so installing it was a "bit" easier. The section that is shown in the photograph is installed. The section to the right of the yellow building is only installed " temporarily". The support system for this portion of the roadway is different. I'll take some pics today and post tonight. Thanks for stopping by.

Frank / Erieman

postalkarl

Hey Frank:

Looks great. Love the highway bridge.

Karl

ACL1504

Frank,

Wow, that elevated roadway is fantastic. I know how much work you've put into it and it shows. Top quality stuff my friend. Well done, excellent work.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

tct855

Frank,
          Nice work my friend! Wow this city with elevated roadway is coming along very well!  What a cool overall scene, It's fantastic to see how the layout is coming along nicely.  Keep those awesome pics coming sir.  Thanx Thom...