JL Innovative Design Sawpit Store

Started by Oldguy, May 04, 2020, 11:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrbeach

Bob,

The photo of the prototype building is interesting for its three over one double hung windows.  Apparently these were popular starting around the mid to late 40's.  My old farmhouse was remodeled around that time and those were the windows that were used. 
I like that you changed your kit windows to two over one to more closely resemble the prototype.  Looking good thus far, I'll continue to hang out and follow along.
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looks like you are off to a good start. Will be following along.

Karl

Oldguy

Quote from: postalkarl on May 06, 2020, 12:09:44 PM
Hey Bob:

Looks like you are off to a good start. Will be following along.

Karl
Glad to have you along
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

The instructions talk about the little add on to the right as being a cooler and having ribbed siding.  The kit provides B&B siding, but I have a stock of ribbed siding.  So a change is in order.  I need to put the 3 sides together and beef up the structure a bit  I cut out some siding and it look like it'll wrap really nice.  But first the glue has to set up.

I've decide to paint the building as light yellow with white windows.  I've always liked Frenchies Bar in Melrose LA and some show it having a light yellow tinge.  But then, it could be color shift.  The windows and other bits received a coat of gray primer and must set up overnight.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

cuse

I love this kit. I built it in N scale a few years ago. 

John

Oldguy

I got the parts primed, using Tamiya primer.  I've tried Model Masters spray primer, but it comes out fast and furious.

I wasn't feeling the Banana Cream yellow, so I over-coated it with Old Yeller weathering powder.  Uncoated below the coated piece.

I use some Builders In Scale ribbed siding for the right hand annex.  It has been given the initial paint sponging and the three wide plank door has been finished.  I found that I need to add some thin strip wood inside for more glue surface for the doors.

I went ahead and put the garage together to get an idea of how the main building will look like.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

The diagrams show the store side windows opening out.  I wish that were possible.  The tilt able windows only open inward.  This is the third build that I have done that use these windows.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

It's looking just great so far. Keep the pic flowing.

Karl

Oldguy

I got the store glued together and decided it needed a bit of foundation.  But instead of a full sheet, I used some 0.060" strips.  So while waiting for the gue to dry. I decided to build a picnic bench or three for the store smokehouse (yet to be built).  I have several of the Memory Lane Studios picnic tables.  Above the tables is the covered side porch.  I need to decide if the tables  or table will fit under it.  And if not just much bigger does it need to be.

The table construction is fairly straight forward.  Some extra cross pieces on the table top support and seat support.   There is a top and bottom to the table and seats, so pay attention to orientation.  I still need to learn a bit on the new camera as the final photo is out of focus.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

You're working on it. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Oldguy

Quote from: postalkarl on May 12, 2020, 12:46:56 PM
Hey Bob:

You're working on it. Can't wait to see more.

Karl
I'll see what I can do.
The instructions have one add all the posters and signs.   Well, I can be a bit ham-handed and will do this towards the end.  In order for me to add on the open air it, I need to mount the building on a base.  And before that, I need to work on some of the roofing.  I'm not a fan of thin cardboard for roof decks, but I'll use what was provided here.  For the store, one needs basically a 4"x4" square piece.  Well, nerts.  The provided material is a bit short.  However, there is another card that had the gas pump, sign mast, and finished kegs attached to it.  Square it up and cut away.  Because the store roof deck is bigger than what the provided material can provide in a single piece, it has to be made up of two card.  As a result, I needed to add a ride beam to help support the card.

I sprayed the three brown sheets for the rolled roofing with dark gray primer and will over coated it with black acrylic paint.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision