Saulenas & Bail Bonds

Started by Opa George, June 07, 2019, 05:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, George.

I wasn't sure about those colours to start with, but with all the details added the whole scene really packs a punch.

Cheers, mark.

Opa George

Quote from: mark dalrymple on July 04, 2019, 03:33:54 PM
Looks great, George.

I wasn't sure about those colours to start with, but with all the details added the whole scene really packs a punch.

Cheers, mark.

Thank you, Mark. It is likely once I drybrush with some white for highlights, and then dust with some earth toned weathering chalks that the colors will tone down and blend a bit.
--George

Opa George

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 04, 2019, 12:17:37 PM
Just the right touch of gaudy for the shore George.....well done.  8)

Thanks for that comment, Gregory.  I've been using the book "Coney Island Lost and Found," by Charles Denson (2002, Ten Speed Press) as my inspiration and reference, not that I am modeling Coney Island--would not have near enough room.

I have always loved that odd spot in American culture that falls somewhere between kitsch, folk art and entrepreneurial excess.  To that end, a mid-century seaside resort in which a large number of the tourists arrive by train is my chosen layout theme.
--George

dick green

Great call on combining these kits. They really do go well together.
Dick
Apple Valley, Mn

ACL1504

George,

I agree, and well done as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

Thanks, Dick and thanks, Tom, for the support.
Here is the overall building done except for weathering and some small details. I have one more kit to build (FOS Rankins Steakhouse) before creating the entire street location/scene on the layout.

Sol Zuckerman, owner of Zuckerman Imports on Mermaid Avenue, first saw the large fiberglass figure at a Bord de Mer festival while on a buying trip to the French Riviera. He left his name and a year later received word that the figure was for sale. He immediately bought it and arranged for shipping to the US.

It's arrival at the seaside resort, in one piece aboard a flatcar last February, was an event, and upon successful installation and bracing on top of his store, he changed the name of the store to Mermaid Avenue Jewelry. It has been the talk of the town ever since.

When I get a little more time, I will share the story of Mademoiselle Zola, who occupies the top floor next door.
--George

cuse

very cool. Fun scene and great modeling as well!

John

Dennis Bourey

Very nicely done George. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

PRR Modeler

Amazing George. Love the mermaid.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Todd W.

George this is fantastic!  You captured the aura of busy booming beach towns everywhere on the east coast from Ocean City Md to Long Island, and from Virginia Beach to Myrtle Beach especially during the 50's through the early 90's.  So well thought out and impressive worksmanship!
Your railroad your way, it's your world.
http://hoscalecustoms.com

You can also follow us on instagram @ http://instagram.com/hoscalecustoms/

postalkarl

Hey George:

Beautifully done. Especially love the mermaid. Where the heck did you find her?

Karl

Opa George

Quote from: postalkarl on July 08, 2019, 11:11:51 AM
Hey George:

Beautifully done. Especially love the mermaid. Where the heck did you find her?

Karl

Thanks, Karl.  I found that figurine at AC Moore. It is by Safari LTD, in their "Mythical Realms" line.  If AC Moore no longer carries them, they are available on Amazon and elsewhere.

I actually bought it a few years ago when I was planning my seaside resort layout. My intent was to have her near the rail bridge that enters the town, welcoming visitors. The inspiration to use her atop the jewelry building was very recent.
--George

Mark Dalrymple

Looking spectacular, George!

Cheers, Mark.

Janbouli

Wow , and I second everything that's been said , what a cool scene.
I love photo's, don't we all.

JimF

George, you have definitely captured the semi garish, kitschy look of the seashore fun spots from those mid century days.

Just flat out excellent, excellent work.

Jim