found some new tree material

Started by rustyfawcett, February 11, 2014, 08:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyfawcett

found some new stuff to make trees from. what do you think

Amagic41

Ok so I'll bite so what is it and where did you find it. It looks like it may do a nice job. Let us know
Ken Crump
KC's Workshop
Bowie,Md
www.kcworkshop.com

rustyfawcett

Quote from: Amagic41 on February 11, 2014, 09:05:15 PM
Ok so I'll bite so what is it and where did you find it. It looks like it may do a nice job. Let us know
thats the thing I dont know what it is. it like a bamboo here in PA. I am not sure what it is. I am trying to fine some things to use so I dont have to buy plastic trees. I am also thinking scenic exspress super trees.

donatode

Soooooo???? Did ANYone find out what that stuff is???? It certainly looks good to me and if it's free or cheap then I'll give it a shot.

jbvb

If you post a picture of the whole live plant, maybe one of us will recognize it or ID it via a horticultural web page.
James

bparrish

Rusty..........

Beware of putting trees on your railroad.  As soon as you put the first one out there the RR yells for a thousand more  ! ! !

Woodland Scenics some years ago stopped making their large foam chunks and went to clump foliage.

As you have it they look good.

To fill out the trees a bit more try sticking on clump foliage first to get some "build".  Then  add the finer ground stuff at the last to look more like individual leaves.  I try and stay away from anything with a filament as cameras REALLY see it.

I use 3M product call 77.  It is a spray contact cement.  Hair spray works but does not put up well with people operating your railroad and brushing against the trees with their sleeve while switching.

Consult my Darwinian theory regarding spray stuff in your house.

Another little hint is to use darker colors near the center of tree while building the foliage up and lighter greens for the sun lit stuff at the outer layers.  It makes it look like shadows in the trees.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

restocarp

Quote from: Donato on April 19, 2015, 10:22:11 PM
Soooooo???? Did ANYone find out what that stuff is???? It certainly looks good to me and if it's free or cheap then I'll give it a shot.

It may be Japanese Knotweed.  It grows pretty pervasively in the Mid-Atlantic.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallopia_japonica

Matt

martin.ojaste

If it is Japanese Knotwood, do everything in your power to get rid of it. I've had some in one part of the garden for 10 years, I've dug it up every year. I've sprayed it with Round-up and it just keeps growing. round-up for poison ive witll control it if sprayed when the shoots are small. The smallest piece of the stalk will produce a new plant.

Marty