Great Lakes Lighthouse Build

Started by carl b, January 01, 2020, 11:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl b

Hello & Happy New Year. Been lurking a while here, and thought I'd post a build thread for your interest. Some may know me from RRLine, where I am still a member. Since I retired and now reside in Florida, my newest project returns me to my roots geographically, but also from a modeling perspective. In the past, I've built many waterside scenes, including docks, wharfs and lighthouses, in kit and scratch form. So, welcome to a scratch build in HO scale, of a historical spot back in my hometown of Dunkirk, New York.  The Dunkirk Lighthouse and Keepers Dwelling.

For a better perspective- here's the location from Google Maps, beside the southern shores of one of the five Great Lakes, Lake Erie.

A traditional cone shaped tower was built in 1837. A third order Fresnel lens was installed in 1857 and is still in use today.

After the original tower began to crumble in place, it was rebuilt in 1875, being clad in the squared off stonework visible today.

More in a few

Carl

ACL1504

Carl,

I'll be following along on this one. A scratch build of a historical structure will be great.

Enjoyed our phone conversation this morning.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

carl b

If interested, you can read more background history here:
http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=294

The lighthouse is also listed on the National Register of Historic places. It has been carefully restored and turned into a nautical museum and souvenir shop, open May thru October. It was saved by a non-profit organization, and has not fallen into disrepair. Therefore, I will depict this model as it appears today .

Tours are available for a fee. I have been there only once, and it's worth every penny. Regrettably, I took only a few photos at the time.

I became frustrated trying to do some basic research. After contacting the Museum itself, they no longer possessed any architectural drawings or plans. They thought the Coast Guard had them, but the Coast Guard claimed they handed all of those over to the National Archives. Hmmm. In fact, the National Archives in College Park MD does have them, but require a professional researcher to be paid on site to do the necessary locating, copying and mailing. The fees were unacceptable. The Archives are in the process of digitizing all their lighthouse documents & posting them on-line, but they admit that will take years.

So I must fall back on many on-line tourist photos, brick row counting, known common values and personal judgment. In fact, Branchline Trains/Laser Art offers a kit called the "Rocky Point" Lighthouse, which is nearly an exact copy of the place...but I am not interested....

I shall begin this teeth pulling exercise next time....
Carl

carl b

Thanks Tom, appreciate you following along.

Also for your assistance on the phone, pleasure to talk to you.
Carl

S&S RR

Carl

What a great structure.  I'm looking forward to following along on your build thread. And welcome to the Modelers Forum.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Mark Dalrymple

Great scratch-build for the new year, Carl.

They are both very interesting (and challenging) structures.  I look forward to your progress.

Cheers, Mark.

Raymo

Ambitious looking project Carl! I'm following!

hairball

Dunkirk NY usually middle of May the giant swap meet for vintage car parts, been there many times since 1990.

I have always wanted to build a tapered conical lighthouse, I actually collected a few Cardstock cones that thread is wrapped around , about 5-6" tall.  This would be fine for HO but sadly short and narrow for anything in O scale.  The surface has a dimply finish on it and would easily paint up perfectly.

Food for thought for anyone wanting to build an HO one.  Would look like georges FSM one.

mike lynch.............HAIRBALL

GPdemayo

Looking forward to your build Carl.....great structure.  :)

Welcome to the forum.....where are you in FL?
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

What an interesting project.  Thanks for sharing!   :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Zephyrus52246

What a great looking lighthouse.  Looking forward to your build.

Jeff

carl b

John, Mark, Raymo, Mike, Greg, Bob and Jeff, thank you for coming along on this new adventure. And I appreciate the welcome.
My updates will always have several pix, and include tips and techniques too.

All comments will be welcome. No secrets will be kept.  ;D

And Greg, I live in Bradenton.
Carl

Janbouli

Welcome to the forum Carl , and what a starter your treating us to , will be following.
I love photo's, don't we all.

GPdemayo

Quote from: carl b on January 01, 2020, 06:30:24 PM
.....And Greg, I live in Bradenton.

Nice town.....a visit could be a fun road trip.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL