2020 Build Challenge - FSM kit 145 Coal Tower

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2020, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

That's some muscular bracing, John!

I suggested to Tim Warris that Mt Albert should sell 'bracing packages' of stripwood, 1/8 square, 1/8x3/16, 3/16 square, 8 of each in the package.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on February 16, 2020, 09:41:21 AM
That's some muscular bracing, John!

I suggested to Tim Warris that Mt Albert should sell 'bracing packages' of stripwood, 1/8 square, 1/8x3/16, 3/16 square, 8 of each in the package.

dave

I bought a huge lot of basswood a few years back that had about 20 - 24 inch pieces of stripwood in most of the common sizes all the way up to 1/4" square. I can't remember where I got it but the price was very good. I wish I could find a deal like that again. Since I bought the miniature table saw I have been cutting a lot of my own stripwood. Especially in the larger HO scale sizes.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Today, I got started on the upper portion of the coal tower.  The side walls for the tower went up.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

It is amazing how each section of wood took the stain differently. I may try another coat of stain on the real light section. I think it will all blend together when I make this look like a coal tower with the weathering chalk.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

For Dave, the interior bracing trend continues.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

One lesson learned for anyone that uses this build thread for their own build.  When I left the model drying over night I found that the walls bowed in at the base of the model when they were left unclamped overnight as the glue dried.  I made up some temporary braces to hold the wall section in position until I glue the model to the base board. Normally, this is not an issue because I build everything right on the baseboard.  This model required a lot of detail work underneath that was much easier with the baseboard out of the way.

John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

Just got caught up on this thread.  It is yet another amazing build from your workbench. Thanks for sharing this with us and for posting all the photos.
Jerry

Mark Dalrymple

Looking great, John - and so nice to receive a letter from George.

Jock Oliphant is a legend!  His flotation mine is probably my favourite ever structure.  Maybe I'll get the courage one day to attempt to recreate it.  If anyone has a set of plans for it...???  Really enjoying watching you build this masterpiece.

Cheers, Mark.

I stumbled across the picture of Jock's flotation mine yesterday.  Page 44, Oct 1975 MRR - for anyone who might be interested.  It says the model was based on drawings published in MRC, but doesn't specify which issue.  Does anyone know? and could maybe email me a copy???  I can see potential for a this as an outstanding addition to the side of a steep mountainside in Shadowlands!

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on February 17, 2020, 01:37:14 PM
Looking great, John - and so nice to receive a letter from George.

Jock Oliphant is a legend!  His flotation mine is probably my favourite ever structure.  Maybe I'll get the courage one day to attempt to recreate it.  If anyone has a set of plans for it... ???  Really enjoying watching you build this masterpiece.

Cheers, Mark.

I stumbled across the picture of Jock's flotation mine yesterday.  Page 44, Oct 1975 MRR - for anyone who might be interested.  It says the model was based on drawings published in MRC, but doesn't specify which issue.  Does anyone know? and could maybe email me a copy???  I can see potential for a this as an outstanding addition to the side of a steep mountainside in Shadowlands!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

You got me doing some research on Jock.  I found some pictures on the internet of his work. He did a few different mines.  Can you post a picture from the article? Some of his models are on display at a museum in Canada. I will give George a call and see if he knows about the plans.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on February 17, 2020, 10:12:58 AM

John,

Just got caught up on this thread.  It is yet another amazing build from your workbench. Thanks for sharing this with us and for posting all the photos.

Jerry

Thank you for following along.  I'm really enjoying this build. These old wood buildings are really fun to build - I see more in my future. I have some scratch build projects on the drawing board.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Hi John.

Here is the photo of Jock Oliphant's flotation mine.  Oct 1975 MRR.

Cheers, Mark.

JimF

Looks excellent, love the wood texture and coloring.

Jim

S&S RR

Quote from: JimF on February 18, 2020, 02:18:54 AM
Looks excellent, love the wood texture and coloring.

Jim

Jim

Thank you for following along and the kind words.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I made some more progress on this build, today. Finished the interior bracing, finished the tower walls,  added the gooseneck lights for the front and routed the wiring so I could add the roof cards.

John Siekirk