Builders in Scale G. W. Nichols Wood - build challenge

Started by Oldguy, December 31, 2019, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

It's coming along nicely. I like the little building with the platform on it.

karl

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Now that the wood fence is done, I decided to move onto the chain link.  The kit contained several pieces of different diameter steel wire and decent templates.  Tried using them the glue jig but the paper wouldn't lay flat enough.  So I cut the top template off and mounted it on a piece of wood.  I have some Locktite 430, its for metals, and it just wouldn't set up.  So, I moved on to the sliding gate and its side pieces.  Same thing.  Maybe the this glue goes bad?

So, after deciding to wait on the glue, I set up the long fence pieces,  This time decided to use a cutting mat as a placement guide, since it had vertical and horizontal lines and all.  I glued up the first two posts using regular ACC, but after looking what I had ahead of me, I decided to stop the nonsense and use brass.  At least I can solder everything together with brass rod.  But then I don't have any on hand, so I'll have to order it.  At least I get 15% off at MicroMart.

In the mean time, the outdoor temps are supposed to rise a bit, and I now find a need for some dirt.  I have one spot where excess dirt was dumped, and hopefully, it won't be frozen or a mud pile. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

you are quite welcome. Looks like you are making more progress.

Karl

Oldguy

The use of ACC on the steel gate and fence parts was a total and utter disaster.  In other words, everything fell apart.  So bring on the Hakko.

I found a piece of scrap 1 by material, and drew out the needed fencing and the main gates.  I attempted to add some push pins into predrilled holes to see if I could use them as a bending jig.  Nope.  Not even close.  So it was on to using some Bostik Blu-Tack to hold the parts in place.  Close but no cigar.  So, I made up a another jig for both cutting and soldering.  I'll let it set over night and hit it again tomorrow.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

jerryrbeach

Bob, 

I wonder if you would have an easier time soldering if your joints were not sitting against the wood block.  I'm far from an expert at soldering but have found the more evenly I can heat the joint the better it works for me.  Have you thought of making an "X" shaped fixture that holds the sides and diagonal brace in place but leaves the joints to be soldered accessible?  That would allow you to apply the heat underneath the wire rod and touch the solder to the top.
Jerry

Oldguy

Quote from: jerryrbeach on February 17, 2020, 09:59:31 AM

Bob, 

I wonder if you would have an easier time soldering if your joints were not sitting against the wood block.  I'm far from an expert at soldering but have found the more evenly I can heat the joint the better it works for me.  Have you thought of making an "X" shaped fixture that holds the sides and diagonal brace in place but leaves the joints to be soldered accessible?  That would allow you to apply the heat underneath the wire rod and touch the solder to the top.
In a word - no I haven't.  Well, that's three words.  I'm not that talented and never thought about it.  But, I'll put that idea in the hopper for the next go around.

I'm simplistic so I made what came to me first.  I don't have much problem with heat as my soldering iron is at 750 degrees.  I get in and get right back out; fast.  The results are okay, but soldering never was my strong suit.  But at least I got two same-sized gates, this time.

And in the mean time, I cobbled together my flat car bridge.

Now I am really at a stand still while waiting for: 1) dirt to dry.  I managed to get a 5 gallon bucket full and spread out over 8 trays for drying, 2) my Mt Albert wood shipment.  It looks like it will take close to 30 days to get here, and 3) wait for my brass rod shipment to arrive. 

Upon further reflection, I could the time to clean up my work area.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

rpdylan

I also had no luck using glue for making my fencing, and although I never soldered like this before, it was a much better way of doing it. I agree, tiny bit of solder, get in and get out! (the liquid flux helped a lot). 
    Your build is looking great!
Bob C.

JimF

Nice build.

Watching to see it finished, this is a kit I'd like to build at some point.

Jim

Oldguy

I finally got my lumber order delivered and I was able to finish of the storage bin gable ends.  I did a major faux pas when assembling the roof.  It wasn't long enough.  As a result, I had to add an extra roof truss so that the 1x10s came out past the metal siding.  The space between the 1x10s was covered by 1x6s.  The instructions said to show some of this material as broken so the truss details would show. 

The rest of this is going to discuss dirt.

I watched a number of how to videos on dirt.  How to process it, how to put it down, how to whatever.  I managed to get about 4 gallons of very wet dirt and laid it out on 10 trays to air dry.  Sorry, but management would never, ever, allow me to cook dirt in her oven.  I went on a mission to find an Osterizer blender as I already had several pint containers for this machine.  And as luck would have it, I scored one at my very first stop.  While glue was drying on the gables, I started to grind the dry lumps of hard clay.  This procedure wasn't all that simple or easy.  Must be why none of them how-to videos actually showed the process.  I could manage only 1 cup of material per load.  And this was me adding some clumps at a time.  Eventually, it just wouldn't grind/liquefy any more.  I first used the smallest strainer, in particle size, then move up to the next size, etc.  Besides being extremely time consuming, what I got was a fine dust.  Not bad, but not all that sure on coverage.  After a couple of cups, I went to the mid-size strainer (wires spaced 1/16"apart), and frankly can't really tell the difference, other than it went quicker and looks just a good.  So here is what I get after two trays of dirt clods.  And I got 8 more to process.  And wow, does this make a mess.

For me part of this challenge is to actually put down some ground scenery on a layout of mine.  Being in the hobby for over 40 years, it'll be a first. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I managed to release the schmoo from the blender blade bearing thingy.   Apparently 8 tray loads of the Midwest's finest clay clods was just too much for it.  So making scenery dirt, will be put on hold for awhile.

So, I went back to the office  building and added support beams under the office annex and used a black wash to color some 6x8's for pile supports.  Then it a simple matter of locating where they would hit in the gully, mark them and make holes.

So while the dirt on the base was drying, I finished up the chain link fence supports.  There are five separate pieces and for those sections that go around the corner was is to make allowance for what ever has to go around the corner as those fence sections will have to be affixed after the main section is installed.  Tomorrow, I'll hit them with gray primer.

As I mentioned before, I have never installed base scenery before.  Yes, I have read books, watched videos, and seen others do it.  But it is another thing when you have to do it on your own.   But then, I learn by doing, not by watching.  I see a static grass applicator in my near future.  But I also realized that a more immediate need is Elmers glue. Hopefully I cam locate a gallon jug somewhere tomorrow.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

jerryrbeach

Bob,

I like where this is headed, the elevation changes are going to engage the viewers' attention. 

I was a little surprised to see you using the blender.  I've always crushed the bigger chunks of dirt, run the dirt through a couple strainers, one with finer screen than the other.  Then I used a stocking to sift and separate some really fine material.

Jerry

SteveCuster

Looking good Bob. I bought a cheap coffee grinder on amazon and I use that to grind my dirt very fine. I think it was $8.
Steve Custer

Oldguy

Quote from: jerryrbeach on February 23, 2020, 10:37:20 PM

Bob,

I like where this is headed, the elevation changes are going to engage the viewers' attention. 

I was a little surprised to see you using the blender.  I've always crushed the bigger chunks of dirt, run the dirt through a couple strainers, one with finer screen than the other.  Then I used a stocking to sift and separate some really fine material.
Thanks.  I'm definitely charting new territory.  I didn't know how else to do this.  I would have to come up with some type of flat plate crusher otherwise.  These clods are tough.  Some get bounce around inside and get rounded.  I have to use a pair of pliers to break them into smaller and more angular chunks for a regrind.  Once ground, the stuff is like flour.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Quote from: SteveCuster on February 24, 2020, 10:31:20 AM
Looking good Bob. I bought a cheap coffee grinder on amazon and I use that to grind my dirt very fine. I think it was $8.
I hear ya.  My Osterizer was a whole $6 at the local thrift store.  The price sticker is still on it.  At some future date,I'll use it to grind up leaves.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond