RUBBLES DEPOT tom yorke #117

Started by hairball, December 26, 2019, 02:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairball

This my Tom Yorke O scale famous THE RUBBLES DEPOT.  I re-issued this kit with permission of tom yorke , made 50 kits .   The probably most well known kit name of all the yorke line , besides the Pool hall & Bordello.  This was made in both HO and O scale.  This is a modified and upgraded version I built for myself.

I built this kit at least 6 times and used various colours for the stone and also the roofing materials........COPPER RAISED SEAM, STEEL RAISED SEAM, CORRUGATED IRON, REAL WOOD VENEER BIRCH SHINGLES.

The hardest part about this build was trying to figure out how to make the turret hollow without making the turret as a 2 part mold and having the mold seams to deal with. !!!!!!  I figured out how.  Don't think Bendover has figured out how to do it.  The Turret section has a total of 4 parts to it.

I used FW acrylic ink and isopropanol alcohol to colour the stone using 3 shades of ink to colour individual stones.  A system i developed from using George Sellios alco/ink technique on wood.  I went another way.

The added freight open air shed was scratch built using standard construction techniques.  The rusty roof has grant line witches walk iron and the roofing was added too with BRAGDONS real rust pigments.

The rail truck is a on30 brass 1916 Garford truck and the rail bus is a 1914 fiat 1.43 Rio models of Italy Omnibus that I modified with a brass Mack truck hood and many other mods to it.  Believe its running on an On30 Bachmann rail truck chassis

Note the 3 characters sitting to the left on the deck.....I call these 3 guys.....George Costanza, Newman in the middle stuffing his face, and Cosmo Kramer, all of Seinfeld fame, because they sure look like them.

found a couple of "as I built it photos" are inserted into pictures

mike lynch.........madmike3434....HAIRBALL

hairball

more pictures

mike

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

hairball

Before there was a TOM A YORKE ..... RUBBLES DEPOT #117, its origins began with kit #108 ROCOPILA DEPOT

Here is 2 pictures from the original adverts.  When you built as many and re-issued as many kits of his as I did , you discovered that rubbles began as this.  You get an AH HA moment opening a NOS #108 kit.  Tom did a lot of creative modeling to produce the rubbles out of rocopila.  Whole new base, the turret , one new shortened  rear wall and much modified end wall on the turret end.

Making new castings and having to carve them is very time consuming.

I also noted that George Selios of FSM would use existing wall sections to create new buildings on his layout. Think I have spotted main building of chippy hollow at least 3 times scattered around.

mike lynch..........madmike3434.......HAIRBALL

hairball

I got to digging in some CDR and found these pictures of other builds I did showing different coloured stone and paint treatment of various parts. Also included is picture showing real wood veneer shingles , I love those things and they are a complete pain to do, time consuming to say the least.

The stonework was again coloured using FW acrylic ink and alcohol.

mike lynch............madmike3434.............HAIRBALL

NEMMRRC

Very nice depot.

Dr. Ben was selling his business. Maybe there is an opportunity to re-issue these yet again.

Jaime

hairball

dr BENDOVER , is never going to get the kind of money $54,999 he is asking.

Look at the high prices he tries to get and now a lot of his stuff .......yorke re-issues .....is deeply discounted.  He only got up to year 2000 kit rights.  Branline has done the newer ones.

Look at prices of FSM kits, a #205 Wilfred bramble, that used to sell easily for $800 ++ , saw one other day for $390 range.

mike lynch...........HAIRBALL

postalkarl

Hey Hairball:

One of my favorite kits. I actually have two in my stash.

Karl

hairball

Well I hope you get to build them, HO I guess.>>  If HO would be a higher demand for it,  more than O 

I still have one I built as a gas station , pretty neat swing away from station, but we had REGENT gas stations around here that used that turret design.  If I cannot find the build pictures on a CD will retake them..

mike lynch-------------HAIRBALL