2020 Build Challenge - FSM kit 145 Coal Tower

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2020, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

I have some progress to report on this build.  I detailed the castings and added canopy glue to the window castings.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I prepped all the wood pieces and kept them in the piles just like George packed them.  This is one of the kits where George cut most of the pieces to the correct size. It is also before laser cutting so all of the door and window castings are cut with a table saw.  I can't imagine how many hours George had into one of these kits.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture after the staining process.  I added weights to keep the warpage to a minimum.

John Siekirk

Opa George

I like the variety in stain colors and tones on your strip wood, John.  That's quite a bit of sizes to keep separated for use.
--Opa George

S&S RR

Quote from: Opa George on January 22, 2020, 05:45:22 AM
I like the variety in stain colors and tones on your strip wood, John.  That's quite a bit of sizes to keep separated for use.
--Opa George

George

The strip wood has been drying in that yellow box for a lot of years so each piece takes the stain a little different.

It sure is a lot of sizes of wood.  Every time I build one of these older FSM kits I think about all the cuts George made to produce this kit.  He made all his own strip wood back then. He showed me his stash of basswood that he used.  He just recently sold his wood supply. The clapboard walls are all cut to size with a table saw. Most of the strip wood is cut to length. The saw blades he used are a thing of beauty for anyone that has every done any woodworking.
John Siekirk

JimF

Catching up here. Looking really great, so far.

This kit was my 3rd or 4th FSM kit I built, for my cousin's layout. I was still in my 'plastic WWII armor' days, back then (the 70's) but built structures for him. Think he would settle for plastic kits? Oh no, had to be all these wood and or card kits (Suydam's Bekin's warehouse was a experience).

Looking forward to more updates.

Jim

S&S RR

Thank you for the kind words, Jim. Just getting started but I really like the color from the Hunterline Driftwood stain.
John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,

Just getting caught up here as well. And, I think this was my third FM build. I remember staining the wood took a long time but well worth the effort in the end. Nicely done.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey John:

looks like you are off to A good start. I'm following along.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on January 23, 2020, 12:57:29 PM
John,

Just getting caught up here as well. And, I think this was my third FM build. I remember staining the wood took a long time but well worth the effort in the end. Nicely done.

Tom  ;D

Tom

Thank you for following along. This kit has been sitting on my shelf for a long time and I know I bought it off the second hand market.  I'm really excited to finally build it.  The wood staining did take a while because I brushed it on rather than using my Bob Butt's staining tub. I find you get a little better variety of stain brushing it on.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: JimF on January 23, 2020, 08:48:00 AM
Catching up here. Looking really great, so far.

This kit was my 3rd or 4th FSM kit I built, for my cousin's layout. I was still in my 'plastic WWII armor' days, back then (the 70's) but built structures for him. Think he would settle for plastic kits? Oh no, had to be all these wood and or card kits (Suydam's Bekin's warehouse was a experience).

Looking forward to more updates.

Jim

Jim

Thank you for following along.  I think this kit either has been or will be on most modelers build list. I really like the way it looks.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 23, 2020, 05:27:00 PM
Hey John:

looks like you are off to A good start. I'm following along.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along.  This afternoon we started gluing stick together. ;) ;D
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The first step in the build process for me, with any of the FSM kits where you build over templates, is to copy the template and mount it under my glass plate.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

George's instruction say to glue to the template. I like gluing to a glass plate because it much easier to remove. I use a single edge razor blade to lift the wood off the glass.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the completed front frame on the glass plate.

John Siekirk