HO Model Power Rooming House addition

Started by darrylhuffman, December 30, 2019, 12:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrylhuffman

Jaime,

The pilot models for many Campbell kits were assembled, painted and lightly weathered by Sherri Collins in the late 1960s.

There were several on display at Frank's Hobby in Tustin, California, in the early 1970s.

Sherri somehow achieved a very distinct shadow under the clapboard siding on her structures.

I never met Sherri but I always wanted to ask her how she got the distinct shadows.

I watched Tom Yorke weather automobiles at a convention when I let him use one of my two tables.

He used very fine Rapidograph pens to achieve distinct shadows under the "chrome" trim of the autos.

Sherri did not build a lot of models and each was featured in ads and on the kit boxes so I know she spent a lot of time on them.

At this point I can only assume she also used very fine Rapidograph pens to very carefully put the shadows in place.

Glad you enjoyed the tutorial.

One thing that makes this a great hobby is that so many people have little tricks.  Plus they are willing to share them all.

Jaime, come visit me in Idaho and we can build models together.

Darryl
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

Opa George

Darryl, great tips and a fantastic job on this.  I have worked wood kits so long that I avoid plastic when I can, but your tips are easy to follow. I'll be trying them out in the future.
--Opa George

NEMMRRC

Quote from: darrylhuffman on December 31, 2019, 11:46:42 PM
Jaime,

The pilot models for many Campbell kits were assembled, painted and lightly weathered by Sherri Collins in the late 1960s.

There were several on display at Frank's Hobby in Tustin, California, in the early 1970s.

Sherri somehow achieved a very distinct shadow under the clapboard siding on her structures.

I never met Sherri but I always wanted to ask her how she got the distinct shadows.

I watched Tom Yorke weather automobiles at a convention when I let him use one of my two tables.

He used very fine Rapidograph pens to achieve distinct shadows under the "chrome" trim of the autos.

Sherri did not build a lot of models and each was featured in ads and on the kit boxes so I know she spent a lot of time on them.

At this point I can only assume she also used very fine Rapidograph pens to very carefully put the shadows in place.

Glad you enjoyed the tutorial.

One thing that makes this a great hobby is that so many people have little tricks.  Plus they are willing to share them all.

Jaime, come visit me in Idaho and we can build models together.

Darryl
I've only ever built one Campbell kit. It was fun. I have lots of them in my stash of kits to build.

I will make it a point to come visit.

Jaime

Oldguy

Hmmm.  Rapidograph?  Hmmm.  I still have a couple of sets that most likely are filled with dry ink.  I can't imagine having the patience to underline clapboards, but the results, done right, could be amazing. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

deemery

Quote from: Oldguy on January 01, 2020, 09:27:29 AM
Hmmm.  Rapidograph?  Hmmm.  I still have a couple of sets that most likely are filled with dry ink.  ...

Time to get out an ultrasonic cleaner for those pens...

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

And here I thought I was the only dinosaur left with Rapidograph pens..... ;D

Great build Darryl..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Mark Dalrymple

This model has blended very nicely, Darryl.

It was interesting to read about your varied techniques.  I look forward to the scenicing.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

Darryl

Great modeling! The structures made out of different materials blend together perfectly.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision