2020 Build Challenge - FSM kit 145 Coal Tower

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2020, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Hi guys

I have been dealing with a medical issue with my 87 year old mother and haven't kept up with my own build thread the last couple of days. :-[  The prototype is CN for the kit.  George told me that the coal tower on his layout is not from this kit but a scratch build of a different CN coal tower.  I will be looking into a kit bash that fits my spot on the S&S RR. At his time I don't know if, or how much I will be deviating from the kit. I will post pictures as I go through the process of figuring out what I want to do.

Eric emailed me the RMC article that was discussed here - THANK YOU ERIC - I love the forum. This will be a great starting point.  I also want to get the prototype pictures that George used for the coal tower on the FSM.  If anyone can help with that it would be much appreciated.  As we know George has some healing to do before he will be getting back at the hobby.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 05, 2020, 04:05:59 PM
Quote from: deemery on January 05, 2020, 12:23:20 PM
Did George provide any history on this structure, since he talks about what the prototype looks like?  When was it built?

dave
From the first paragraph in the instructions it looks like it is a CN prototype. Maybe John can add more. I just blew up the photo of the instructions...

Jaime

Thank you Jaime - I will take a look if there is more information tomorrow and get back to you.
John Siekirk

MAP

Mark

S&S RR

Quote from: MAP on January 08, 2020, 06:16:56 AM
I'll be following along on this one John!

Thank you for following along Mark.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I started putting all the pictures together on my drawing board to look at any design changes I may want to make before starting the build. I also started cleaning up the castings and getting them ready for the paint booth.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is another picture - close up of the instructions and what George has to say about the prototype. He designed it from pictures of a similar CN Prototype in Winnipeg, Canada.  I will post some pictures from the directions and the prototype that Eric sent me from a MRC article. Thanks again Eric.

John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

that's a beautiful kit. I will be following along with your build.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 08, 2020, 02:34:20 PM
Hey John:

that's a beautiful kit. I will be following along with your build.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The last three pictures are from the kit instructions for comparison.
John Siekirk