Nothing beats board by board. Nice job.
ed

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

hey Paintrain:

I agree with Tom the stain looks great. I'm following along. Always enjoy FSM builds.

Karl

Lynnb

You have a nice start on the Sawmill, the 170 Sawmill was my first ever fsm kit , this is a nice kit as well.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

PainTrain

Thanks for the props

Lets see how your sawmill turned out, Lynnb.  I've got the old time saw mill and barnstead lumber in the pile as well.  and a mountain of sierra west kits.  Speaking of, it's time to start doing the window casting for the walls so I ordered the materials for that based off Brett's instructions.  Should be here in a few weeks.

Lynnb

Here's my 170 Sawmill, its gotten beat up a bit since tearing down the last layout, needs a couple repairs.
You're doing a great job on your build.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

Opa George

Beautifully elaborate woodwork.  The subtleties in the stain are very well done and effective.
--Opa George

SteveCuster

Great job so far.

It looks like your templates are under a fairly thick glass work surface. One suggestion I'd give is to get a cheap photo copier and some double sided tape. Make a copy of the templates and use the tape to secure the wood directly to the template. It's much easier, more precise and faster. With the copier you can make multiple sheets so you can work several sub-assemblies at the same time.

Just a suggestion.
Steve Custer

PainTrain

Thanks for the replies.  No updates since right after I got back into the kit, I ended up with a new job 1000 miles away.  I'm getting settled in and should be back to building soon.  I also noticed I used the wrong elmer's wood glue, so I'll have to spot check it with the water proof variety when I get a chance.

Steve, thanks for that idea.  I'm going to try it out for the remainder of the build.

Lynnb

Wowe , I just realized this is the Logging Repair Shed and not the FSM SawMill , my apologies. What was I thinking. :-[
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

postalkarl

Hey Lynn:

Looks just beautiful so far. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

bandman

Lynn, great looking wood there.  Look forward to more progress.

Horton M.

WigWag Workshop

Looking forward to following along, can't wait till I attempt a build like this. I appreciate you sharing.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

PainTrain

Knocked out about half the castings over the weekend.  Definitely use nicer acrylic paint for those since the cheap hobby paints don't seem to want to stick to the finer metal detail even when cleaned and primed.

Is there a real advantage over burnishing the metal vs priming? 

Mark Dalrymple

Nice work so far, PT.

Looks like you'll have lots of fun.  I agree - it might be fun to add some elevation changes to your list of goals.

Cheers, Mark.