Brick wall sill's

Started by Dennis Bourey, September 23, 2019, 12:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

Hi Guy's a easy one. What do you use and how to install the upper and lower recessed sill's ? Wood wall's just cut and install the window ? but the brick scratch build is another thing. Thanks again Dennis.
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

restocarp

Generally I just glue a piece of strip wood above and/or below the opening and paint it the stone/foundation grey/gray color.

Matt

fbernard65

Dennis Bourey

Thanks Matt and Frank.......Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

deemery

I usually use strip styrene, but that's because I build my brick buildings from styrene sheet.  One thing I've done on occasion is cut away the styrene sheet on the top, exposing the (styrene) subwall, which I then paint a dark grey to represent iron/steel.  For the bottom sills, I often use a strip of brick cut lengthwise, so it's a row of 1/2 height bricks.  That's a common bottom sill treatment on brick structures.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Dennis Bourey

Thank you Dave, Do you cut enough for the sill to sit under the window or do you just glue it to the outside of the opening?
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

deemery

Quote from: DennisBourey on September 23, 2019, 01:35:05 PM
Thank you Dave, Do you cut enough for the sill to sit under the window or do you just glue it to the outside of the opening?
I just glue it to the outside.  No one has noticed the sills don't actually go to the window castings :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)