2020 Build Challenge - FSM kit 145 Coal Tower

Started by S&S RR, January 01, 2020, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

John,

The coaling tower is looking great, very well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on February 24, 2020, 09:23:53 PM
The weathering is outstanding John.  Great looking structure.

Steve

Thank you for the complements.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on February 25, 2020, 03:09:52 AM
Beautiful weathering John , really looks real  ;)

Jan

Thank you for the kind words - I can't wait to start adding all those details.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on February 25, 2020, 11:41:21 AM
John,
Your coal tower build is coming along . This is a great kit to get out of the box.
Your model will look great on the S&S RR.
Tommy

Tommy

Thank you for following along and the kind words.  It is great to have this one out of the yellow box. I'm exploring different locations for this one.  All near the Stone Roundhouse and Locomotive Works on S&S RR.

I had a nice long talk with George yesterday, he is feeling much better. Actually, getting to the shop for short periods of time.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on February 25, 2020, 11:57:18 AM
John,

The coaling tower is looking great, very well done.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you for stopping by the thread and the kind words.  You can't beat these FSM kits. So much detail in the little yellow box. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks on the layout.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

A quick note about the warping problem I had with the unsupported wall from the glue drying.  The removable braces that I added did the trick. I moved the wall out 3/8 of an inch with the braces in 1/8 inch increments.  I just added a longer brace each night and the glue and wood took the new shape.  It's called creep with materials like the glue I'm using.  The glue responds to the stress by changing shape.  It takes time but it works.  I can remove the bracing now and the wall stays where I want it.  The bracing will stay in place until I glue the assembly to the baseboard. I will probably add a strategically placed nail or two to make sure nothing moves with time. Note to future builders of this kit: Make sure you brace the unsupported wall when you glue the walls together. The glue wants to warp the assembly as it dries.
John Siekirk

fsmcollector67

John,
Outstanding job n the coal tower so far....

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

S&S RR

Quote from: fsmcollector67 on February 26, 2020, 04:03:17 PM
John,
Outstanding job n the coal tower so far....

Loren...

Loren

Thank you for the kind words and for following along.  We are just about to the really fun part - the details.
John Siekirk

Opa George

John, I've enjoyed following this and watching it take shape.  It looks great so far--can't wait to see you adding details.
--Opa George

S&S RR

Quote from: Opa George on February 27, 2020, 05:23:39 AM
John, I've enjoyed following this and watching it take shape.  It looks great so far--can't wait to see you adding details.
--Opa George

George

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words.  I got some bench time in on this project today.  Pictures to follow.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I completed the rafter ends and got started installing the shingles.  Here are a few progress pictures from my workbench.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk