Odd Manufacturing

Started by Random, April 05, 2019, 04:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random

I started a new gig mid December and my modeling time diminished, but not as much as my posting time.  That said, there has been progress.

I dealt with the corners of the building by filling them with a nice helping of vines.

I attached the access shed and vents to the roof and then finished it off with a layer of sanded grout.  I applied the grout over a layer of white glue and then flooded it with thinned white glue to ensure it was bonded thoroughly.

I made a base for the building so that the loading docks could be attached.  The supports for the loading docks were remade as well and they got a bit more stain to weather them.   The water tank is from an old Magnuson kit and the vents on the sides of the building are cut from heavy paper and painted with acrylics.

The base was primed in black to seal the wood from moister.   I'll need to give the top a "dirt" coat before adding scenery.

Cheers.

Roger Hines

Is 5 layouts too many?  Yes, it is.   

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

jerryrbeach

Roger,

Looks great.  In a former life I had access to the roof of a high rise apartment building.  IMO, you nailed it.  You have enough detail to make your rooftop interesting, but not so much it looks overdone.  I really like the variations in coloring, too.  Wonderful modeling.
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Random

I've been doing a little scenery work on the track side of the building.  The side to the right will butt up against the retaining wall I installed over in the Two cities layout thread in the Diorama's section.

I used some flexible cobble stone material for the driveway.  I used tan grout for the dirt and over the top of the cobble stones.  Various bits of debris including some scraps from building the loading dock, a couple of stones used to make the retaining wall casting masters and some newspapers & Magazines joined the usual ground foam to give it a lived in but not maintained well look. 

I decided to add a cover for the loading dock to protect workers from rain and the odd stone that might tumble down from the mains.   You can see from the framing that management spared every expense. 

After I finish the roof I'm going to add a tree and some more bits to add to the variety.

Cheers
Roger Hines

Focussing on the 1941 Boston-ish layout and pondering a mid-70s D&H switching layout.  There are still a lot of airplanes and spaceships in the closet and who knows what else might pop up.

NEMMRRC

Excellent!

What software are you using to create the designs you cut on your Cricut?

Jaime

Random

I use Affinity Designer on the Mac to design the signs.  It is a bit of overkill but it was my best choice at the time to be able to output the .svg file that Cricut's app requires.  From that app I have found I have to output the .svg file at 72 DPI for the Cricut.   My older Brother machine requires the file to be output at 96 DPI.

Roger Hines

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Random on April 30, 2020, 11:04:51 AM
I use Affinity Designer on the Mac to design the signs.  It is a bit of overkill but it was my best choice at the time to be able to output the .svg file that Cricut's app requires.  From that app I have found I have to output the .svg file at 72 DPI for the Cricut.   My older Brother machine requires the file to be output at 96 DPI.
Thanks!
Jaime

Random

i added more texture to the vegetation, one of my hand made trees, and some details on the loading dock.   The barrels are from Campbell.

Several hundred of my trees were on the layout at the Galveston Railroad Museum before it was flooded by the hurricane.  I think this is the first time one has made it onto my own layout.  This is the side of the building that will be up against the retaining wall.

Cheers
Roger Hines

ACL1504

Roger,

Oddly enough it looks great.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Roger:

Great job on that kit. Love all the vines.

Karl

GPdemayo

Missed the finish Roger.....the details are really great.....I especially like the cobblestone paving.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

Good looking building.  All those windows would have driven me nuts.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln