FSM Chippy Hollow Hardware

Started by SteveCuster, December 07, 2019, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

All I can say is WOW. The stonework is just gorgeous.

Karl

fsmcollector67

Steve,
As always, outstanding work.....

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

NEMMRRC

Mark Dalrymple

Colours look fantastic, Steve.

Cheers, Mark.

SteveCuster

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. I apologize for taking long to reply to the thread. Sometimes I try to reply on my phone and it gives me the database error and I forget to try again later.

I've had trouble finding time to work on anything lately with the holidays and the new baby in the house. I wanted to wait till I had some more progress to update the thread.

In preparation for installing the roof card I added the cross support. Lots of heavy lead pieces glued to the cardboard so it's important to keep the roof from sagging.

The roof card is glued in place. I'm doing individual shingles so I didn't shingle the roof card first.

These 2 pieces will be the base for the lower gable detail.

Here they are glued together.

I made one for the other side and cut them both with a miter box and little hand saw to match the profile of the roof.

Next step is gluing the pieces that go vertically up the bottom of the roof. I used a miter box and a small handsaw to cut these as well.

I added all the roof details before shingling the roof. I prefer to do it this way if I'm using individual shingles. All the chimneys are drilled and I insert half toothpicks in them. I can then just poke a hole in the roof, slide the toothpick in the hole and I don't have to worry about the chimney moving while it's drying.

I started shingling the roof. Its a little hard to see but I use a piece of scale 1x3 or 1x4 before the first row to bring the first row of shingles up a bit and simulate a starter row. I'm using cedar sheets from Sierra Scale Models. I cut them into strips and then just chop random shingles out of the strips.

Moving along..

I do about 1 inch at a time and then alternate between the next row and 2 rows on the other side. This way I don't mess up what I've already done.

I added a little piece of patch corrugated metal just to give it a little more character.

Almost done..

I ran a piece of scale 2x2 across the ridge to give the ridge shingles some support and something to glue to.

I finished the ridge cap shingles.

Thanks for following along everyone. Hopefully I'll get a few chunks of time to work on it in the next couple days.

Steve Custer

carl b

Carl

Mark Dalrymple

Looks great, Steve.

Really nice work.

Cheers, Mark.

Opa George

Wow, fantastic work. I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who applies individual HO scale shingles.
--Opa George

Janbouli

Quote from: Opa George on January 27, 2020, 05:16:28 AM
Wow, fantastic work. I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who applies individual HO scale shingles.
--Opa George
Yes indeed , I wouldn't even think about such tedious work, great job.
I love photo's, don't we all.

fsmcollector67

Steve,
The stone work is top notch as always....

Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

GPdemayo

Excellent work on the wood shingles, especially the ridge shingles, Steve..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

Next step I installed the cupola roof card.

Installing the shingles..

I made a copy of the roof card, cut out the the top portion and will use it as a cap under the finial. This is just the test fit.

First coat of color is on the shingles. I used a thinned out wash of Apple Barrel Pavement to start.

Next I washed over the shingles with a light gray thinned out heavily.

I washed over everything with A&I to darken it a bit.

I drybrushed the roof with linen colored paint. You can see the right has some highlights and the left isn't touched yet.

I brushed some chalks across the roof to add a little more color.

I drybrushed the roof again to bring everything together and blend it a bit.

Thanks for following along. I'm going to be building the little brick extension building next.

Steve Custer

Jerry

Steve that is one beautiful looking roof.  Great job.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Opa George

Wonderful job on the roof. One of the nicest I've seen.
--Opa George

carl b

Carl