FSM Chippy Hollow Hardware

Started by SteveCuster, December 07, 2019, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

Great looking roof.  I don't think I'd have the patience to do individual shingles, but it's a nice effect.

Jeff

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

fsmcollector67

Steve,
Great roof work. Isn't it fun doing them shingle by shingle? The cedar ones also smell real good....

Loren....
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

All I can say is WOW!!!!!! beautiful job on the stonework. Love the roof and it's details also.

Karl

Janbouli

Fantastic looking shingles and the roof details are great.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Steve

Great workmanship! Great looking build! Love it.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone.

I jumped ahead and started working on the small brick building to the left of the front. The instructions have this assembled after the main building and the loading docks but I thought I could get a better feel for the diorama spacing if I put it together first.

I primed everything with earth. I think black would've been fine too. The 2 small walls are part of the loading dock.

First coat was Apple Barrel Barn Red followed by a wash of A&I to tone it down.

I painted a few bricks with dark gray,

Next I use some thinned out off-white or light gray and just touch it to a crack so it wicks into all the stones.

I painted all the little details and installed the doors and windows. The walls also go another A&I wash plus some drybrushing. Then I glued all 3 walls together.

As much as I tried I found it difficult to get a really tight corner joint. The lead walls and just too flexible. I'll have to disguise this with vines.

This is how it looks next to the main building.

The kit included these gutters. They are U channel type wood. George recommended just staining them with A&I but I felt like they are a little large and a touch out of scale but I like the detail so I painted them flat gray to tone them down a bit. Plus I've never seen wood gutters before.. Maybe this was common in the past and they all rotten away and were replaced with aluminum?

I made the base for the diorama. George recommended 9x18 but I made mine 9x24. I plan on adding a building or shed to the left of the building.

I glued the main building to the base.

Thanks for following along. I already started staining the wood for the decking. That's going to be the next step. Plus a few smaller details on the main building.

Steve Custer

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Steve, fantastic job so far. The small brick building has tons of character.  On the gutters, I use U-channel wood on all my builds to represent gutters, with piano wire downspouts. I paint all a rusty blackish gray to represent old metal.  The old gutters were usually half-round metal, but I find the u-channels do a nice job representing this most common detail even if not the most accurate look.  I think our "mind's eye" accepts it.

Really, really  nice build. -- Opa George

ReadingBob

Super looking build so far Steve!   ;) 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

WOW!!!! you are doing the coolest job on this kit. It's one I always loved but do not have one. Love you stone & brick work.

Karl

rpdylan

Great modeling work Steve! I'm learning a lot from this build on painting these wall castings, thank you. I almost picked this kit up at Springfield but got Sewall's Foundry instead. 
Bob C.

SteveCuster

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

George, after I colored and weathered them up a bit they grew on me and I like them now. Do your get your wood for the gutters from Northeastern?

Bob, I'm glad I could give you some ideas of at least how I color them. Pretty simple and easy. I just try to keep everything subtle. I'd like the build Sewall's and the price has come down considerably. I've also thought about buying some of Jimmy's castings for Sewall's and doing something different with them.

Small update today...

Since the main building is glued down I added the finial to the top of the cupola. I sprayed the piece of paper cap I made earlier with flat black, blackened the metal finial piece and colored it with a little green mixed with white. I weathered it with some A&I and drybrushing. Even if I'm careful I'll break this off at least 2-3 times before I'm done.

I started putting together the rooftop cranes for both the front and the back of the building.

I added the thread that will represent the cable. It's super glued at the top but wont be finished off till later.

I glued it to the roof. I thought this might be tough to keep from sliding or moving while drying but I had no problems. It's a little front heavy with the lead casting.

Last step was adding the side supports.

I started getting ready to build the loading dock. This is the bag of wood for it. It's mostly all pre-cut so it should go pretty quickly.

The stripwood was all organized by rubber bands but the ravages of time have caused them to turn to dust and goo. I made little piles of all the sizes.

That's all for today. Thanks for following along.

Tomorrow I'll try to get some of the deck assembled.

Steve Custer

richbeau

Nice work Steve. I've got Jimmie's version of the castings so you've given me plenty of ideas for finishing the stone structure.
--Rich

Opa George

Quote from: SteveCuster on February 06, 2020, 08:48:01 PM

George, after I colored and weathered them up a bit they grew on me and I like them now. Do your get your wood for the gutters from Northeastern?

Steve, my local hobby shop stocks it.  They have an entire backroom filled with scale stripwood, almost every size and shape imaginable. Very convenient.
--Opa George