FSM Chippy Hollow Hardware

Started by SteveCuster, December 07, 2019, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

Something to try on the corrugated roof:  rub a soft pencil on it, which will add a small amount of 'graphite shine'.  If you don't like the effect, it'll be easy to clean off with water or alcohol.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

hairball

all the stacks and vents on the roof.   You need tar flashing.  White glue applied with toothpick and then very small pointed brush to apply black paint to simulate tar.  All adds greatly to the finished look.

mike lynch..............HAIRBALL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Opa George

Good choice keeping the cast metal shed roof. It's gorgeous with detail. Also a good job in getting the cast metal wood stairs to match the weathered wooden decking. That can be tough to get close, but you did it.
--Opa George

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone.

I added the roof to the brick structure.

This is the way I install my chimneys. I drill a hole in the center and super glue a toothpick in place.

All the chimneys are secured with Liquid Leading. This secures them and looks like roofing tar.

Mike, I use Liquid Leading to represent roof tar. Its a flat grimy black colored glue from any craft store. I think it's used for stain glass windows. I try to have it hardly visible around the chimneys if possible. All the main roof chimneys were installed this way.

I started adding the shingles. Same as before.

I glued the building to the main structure before I finished the final row so I could get the shingles right up to the stone.
Steve Custer

Opa George

Beautiful shake shingle roof on the brick. I like the contrast of the brick and shakes with the stone main structure. Very striking!
--Opa George

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

Jerry

Steve when you get a chance.  I sent you and email here under messages.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone!

I finished adding the shingles and colored them using the same methods as the main roof.

I added a couple pieces of corrugated metal to the roof to represent a makeshift repair and add a little character to the roof.

Now that the roof is in place I started adding the downspouts. They are made with thick wire bent with a set of needlenose pliers.

I also added the downspouts to the other side of the structure.

I added some wire supports and weathered with some rust powders. I'll add moss and vines once I get the ground cover down.

Thanks for following along.

Next step is laying the tracks and the base ground cover.

Steve Custer

MAP

Mark

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

cuse

Wow...that is some fantastic work. The roofing, stonework, and overall weathering is really great!

John

Opa George

Agreed--all beautiful work. I particularly like your downspouts. 
--Opa George