Interaction Hobbies Moonshiners Cabin

Started by postalkarl, May 04, 2020, 05:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Looking good Karl..... 8)

Pegi's dad was a cop in New York and his last few years were spent as the head cop in Central Park. One of the stories he told was about the bums using waded up newspaper under their coats as insulation in the winter when they were sleeping in the park. He said they lost a few, but it did save most from freezing.

The dead air spaces in insulation is what hinders the flow of warm air to cold air and waded up newspaper acts in the same manner. Newspaper as insulation and draft prevention was very common in the western U.S. during the late 1800's and into the early 1900's.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Greg:

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Karl

postalkarl

Hi All:

Finished the interior today. Here's A few photos.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Great looking interior and the exterior wood strips outside will set the build apart.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Thanks glad you like it. I'm starting on the roof.

Karl

postalkarl

Hi All:

Finished up my roof except for the gable trim. I will add this today. I messed up on the instructions in that I glued my rafter tails in place. They should have been put it w/o glue and the glued the roof to them making them removable. I do not use folded paper on roof peaks. I use cap shingles, folded corrugated or or copper patina roof finials which I used on this model.

Here's a few pics. Hope it looks OK.

Karl

jerryrbeach

Karl,

Looks great to me!  I think gluing the rafters in place may be the best way to go.  I noticed in a couple pics on Darryl's website that some of his rafters didn't fit tightly to the walls.  This looks like a cure for that.
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Jerry:

Thanks much appreciated. Thanks for your comments.

Karl

postalkarl

Hey Guys:

Started working on the front porch and back stairs. Got the parts painted today. Haven't had any posts on this. Let me know how it looks. It's OK to be truthful.

Karl

Jerry

Nice job on those rafters.

And build is pretty dam good to.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

tom.boyd.125

Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

Hi jerry And Tommy:

thanks for the great compliment. Much appreciated. Didn't get much done last two days as I was cleaning up the yard. You now the springtime spruce up. At any rate I painted some parts tonight so I cna do some work tomorrow.

Karl

postalkarl

Hi Guys:

Here's a progress shot. Got the front porch on. The hole in the floor is for the operating rocking chair. I have A few things to add yet before I go on to the rocking chair. I see the roof is sticking up on the left side. I just didn't get it seated.

Karl

WigWag Workshop

Really enjoying seeing the progress on this build.
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

postalkarl

Hey Wig Wag:

thanks for checking in. Glad to have you here and you are welcome.

Karl