FSM Cartwright's Machine Shop

Started by SteveCuster, October 22, 2018, 03:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveCuster

Hello Everyone,

I just finished up a build of FSM Cartwright's Machine Shop. I didn't do a build thread for this kit because I knew my free time available to work on it was going to be limited and I wasn't sure how long it would take me to complete. I believe I started working on it sometime around July.

I followed George's direction for the kit for the most part. The main thing I chose to do differently was a cedar shake roof instead of the corrugated metal panels.

The shingles are individual shakes cut from Sierra Scale Models sheets. I colored them with a wash of Driftwood followed by Floquil SP Lark Dark Gray. I think I alternated the washes a few times to get the color followed by some A&I and chalk powders. I drybrushed all the shingles with some light tans and antique white.

I haven't done much water modeling before so this was a bit of a learning experience. The water is Envirotex with a few drops of Reaper Miniatures Jungle Camo and 1 drop of Black. I used Liquitex Gloss Medium on the surface of the Envirotex to create some small ripples. I was very careful not to get brush marks in the water. I applied the Gloss Medium in drops on the surface and I spread them around by blowing on them with a soda straw. This technique also removed most of the small bubbles.

The water in the culvert was done by gluing a small piece of acetate cut into a "V" shape in the pipe. I then coated it in Liquitex Heavy Gel. I've always loved the water details George does especially the waterfalls and pipes. I believe he recommends Epoxy for the water in the pipe using the same acetate technique.

I didn't get super crazy with detailing this area because it's going to be very difficult to see once the diorama is installed on my layout.

These next photos were taking on my workbench. The lighting is slightly different.

This will be it's home on the layout. I planned this kit to be in this located before I started the benchwork. I needed to build it now so I can map out the water behind it. I wanted the water to flow under the wood truss bridge and get directed towards the area under this kit.

Thanks for checking in. I'm never sure if this is too many photos for the opening of a thread. Someone let me know if I'm overdoing it and I need to space them out a bit.

-Steve

Steve Custer

sdrees

Hi Steve,

The answer to your question about to many photo's, No Way!!!!!!!!  We like photo's, the more the better.  You did a fabulous job on this project.  the weathering on the building is perfect, the scenery in perfect and the water is perfect.  the deal is perfect.
Steve Drees
SP RR

ACL1504

Steve,

Extremely well done. Wow, it looks fantastic where you have it planted.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

SteveCuster

Thanks Steve I was a bit nervous about the water but I'm satisfied with how it turned out.

Thanks Tom when I imagined the layout I had a few kits I wanted to use. I thought this kit really needs to be up from so you can look over it and see the details that are lower than the scenery. I'm now motivated to start working around and up to it.

I really appreciate the positive feedback.

-Steve
Steve Custer

Janbouli

Wow , what a build , so well done, I can only hope to achieve something towards this .
I love photo's, don't we all.

vinceg

Looks beautiful, Steve. Perfect build.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

fbernard65

Steve,

A most excellent build and diorama. :) :) :) :)

Frank

sdrees

Hi Steve,

When I built Shelby's, I procrastinated over the water for a long time.  After I did it, I said to myself, that was no big deal.  Other friends of mine have gone thru the same before they did there water.
Steve Drees
SP RR

SteveCuster

Thanks Jan, Vince and Frank.

Steve, I know for me the stress is the permanence of the water. I've gotten pretty clever at covering up my mistakes on structures and scenery but the water seems very unforgiving. I have quite a few water areas on the layout so I need to get comfortable with it. The positive feedback definitely helps me feel more confident with it.

-Steve
Steve Custer

Zephyrus52246

ReadingBob

Hi Steve,

Outstanding work!   :D  Two thumbs up and all that.  She'll look terrific on your layout. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Neat structure build and great scene Steve..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

SteveCuster

Steve Custer

S&S RR

Steve

Fantastic!  Thank you for sharing it with us.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad