Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on May 23, 2020, 04:02:14 PM
Beautiful modeling on the boats by your friend.

Thank you Curt.  Wayne will see your comments.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

postalkarl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on May 24, 2020, 03:56:50 AM
Hey John:

Looks great I'm following along.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words. I'm gluing the first walls together for the Brick Roundhouse, today. I'll take a few pictures.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the boat model that Wayne just completed. These boats are going to look so nice in the harbor. I can't wait to get to that area.

John Siekirk

tom.boyd.125

John,
The boats that Wayne built, are they all from Sea Port Model Works or other companies ?
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

S&S RR

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on May 24, 2020, 12:09:28 PM
John,
The boats that Wayne built, are they all from Sea Port Model Works or other companies ?
Tommy

Tommy

Most of the boats are from Sea Port Model Works,  I have also purchased a few from Model Tech and Blue Jacket that are on Wayne's build list. I believe all of them that are pictured in the last couple of pages are from Sea Port - but I could be wrong. If you see one that you question, let me know and I will dig into it.
John Siekirk

cuse

S&S RR

John Siekirk

ACL1504

John,
All the boats look wonderful and will really make a great harbor scene.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on May 25, 2020, 12:49:06 PM

John,
All the boats look wonderful and will really make a great harbor scene.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you for the encouraging words.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: The brick roundhouse is coming along, I have spent the last couple of weeks painting/coloring and weathering the castings for the walls. Here is a picture of one of my workbenches with finished and semifinished wall castings.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

As you can see from my glass plate, I'm using three different shades of grey pastel chalk for the stone foundation of the walls. I add alcohol and use the pastels like a paint.  I'm painting individual random stones with the different shades. I started by painting the stones with a grey acrylic primer.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

In the bottom right corner of the picture above I have a casting that has had the pan pastel added over the brick and stone area of the wall casting. I then use a gum eraser to remove the pan pastel from the surface of the brick leaving the material in the mortar joints.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

You can achieve many different looks to the wall by how much you remove with the eraser. If I over do it in an area I just reapply and start the process over again. I will touch up the walls once the roundhouse is assembled, but you can get a basic idea of the look from the pictures.
John Siekirk