Which drill press vise?

Started by ranny9, February 19, 2016, 07:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Randee,

I like the second one as it holds the piece being drilled very securely. I also like the third one for the fact it opens wider and gives you more room to hold a larger piece.

If I were to purchase the drill press, I'd get the second one.

My two cents worth.

I based the above picturing me working on brass models and what I'd be drilling. The second vise would benefit me more.

So, I guess you need to decide what one will work for what you have in mind to use it for.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Randy

I have the third vise on your list and it works fine.  The main criteria for me was the way it fastened to the drill press.  I have my Dad's old drill press and this was the quickest and easiest solution.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Slim Jerkins

I wouldn't limit yourself to just the MM catalog. Try a search on Amazon for drill press vises and see what comes up. I haven't been overly impressed with the quality of -some- of MM's tools. Your mileage may vary.

-slim

deemery

You should be able to match or beat the MicroMark price on Amazon or eBay for something like this. 

On a related note, has anyone found a source besides MicroMark for 1"x1"x1" angle blocks?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Oldguy

Quote from: deemery on February 19, 2016, 10:56:06 AM
You should be able to match or beat the MicroMark price on Amazon or eBay for something like this. 

On a related note, has anyone found a source besides MicroMark for 1"x1"x1" angle blocks?

dave

http://kittstools.securesites.net/store/angle_plates.html
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

bparrish

Randy...

Of your choices I would select the one with the sliding cross bar tightening devise.  You can really get into it and tie something down.

I too have had quality problems with some of MM's offerings.  There are a number of products where they don't even say what planet they were built on.

But......

Consider this one on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/MAKER-BENCH-JEWELRY-BEADING-WATCHMAKERS/dp/B016X0BP18/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1455901804&sr=8-28&keywords=machinist+vise

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

oldbloodhound

Bob's recommendation is the same as MM but $10 cheaper on Amazon and FREE shipping.

ranny9

Quote from: Oldguy on February 19, 2016, 11:08:19 AM
Quote from: deemery on February 19, 2016, 10:56:06 AM

dave

Thanks!!, I need the 1"x1"x1" angle blocks too. You guys always come through :)

http://kittstools.securesites.net/store/angle_plates.html