Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

jerryrbeach

Quote from: postalkarl on June 03, 2020, 10:55:02 AM
hey Jerry:

They look just great.

Karl

Karl,

Thanks for dropping in and the kind words.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

I've been working on a couple Jordan Model T's, a 1925 coupe / pickup and a mail truck.  I thought I had taken more photos of the construction process, but as usual, once I got rolling I forgot to take all the shots I intended.  I will post what I did take as well as a couple tips I find make the construction of the T's easier. 

FWIW, the original price of the mail truck was $1.50, with a note on the instruction sheet that said it was purchased at a swap meet in 1983, again for $1.50.  It also had a $4 price tag on it, apparently what I paid. 

On the mail truck I sprayed the outside of the body with a Rattle can of olive drab camo color.  I thought I took a pic of this, oops.  Then I masked off the camo after it had dried for a couple days and finished spraying the interior, underframe, wheels, etc., all with various rattle cans.  After the wheels were dry I used Vallejo dark gray to paint the tires, interior floor, etc.   
Jerry

jerryrbeach

OK, now for a couple tips that may make construction easier.  First, the underframe has a nice rendition of the pivoting joint where the radius rods fasten to the bottom of the bell housing.  The issue I find it that this means the gluing area is tiny.  I either remove the "bump" with a file or knife, or I glue the radius rods in front of this piece.  The instructions refer to this as a "pad".  This gives a much larger gluing area where the radius rods fasten to the bottom of the bell housing.  The pic shows my scalpel blade pointing at the "pad".

I also glue the rear spring to the underframe using a small drop of liquid plastic cement. Then I glue the front of the driveshaft to the rear of the transmission, again with a small drop of plastic cement.  I then flex the rear spring until it lines up with the axle and when everything is lined properly I use ACC to glue the spring to the axle.  I find this much easier than the directions that call for gluing the spring to the axle and then gluing the assembly to the underframe.  The ends of the springs where they glue to the axle are very small, so by fastening the larger gluing surfaces first I find it easier to get everything aligned. 

My last tip is that after a joint is in place and the initial application of cement or ACC has set, I add fillets of ACC to every joint using the tip of a wire as an applicator.  I always add the wheels last, again a small application of ACC and a fillet around the joint after the first application has set.  If the wheels do not all touch a flat surface evenly i have had good success using a small flat blade screwdriver to twist the rear spring until that axle matches the alignment of the front axle. 
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Wow!  I left everyone hanging for far too long.  The mail truck was done some time last summer but I failed to take and post photos.  I wrapped up the final assembly and touchup of the sedan last evening.  So, photos of both.  IMO having nothing but black Ford Model T's is prototypic but pretty boring on a layout.  I cheat and use dark blue, dark green, and dark gray to add a little variety.  FWIW, the instructions for the mail truck call for olive drab color I used.

I noticed that some of the Jordan Ford sedans on the F&SM have the windows dullcoated and thought I would try it on this particular kit.  I'm not sure I like it, anyone have any thoughts?
Jerry

Raymo

They look great! Ford for the most part didn't start painting Model T's in colors till about the mid 20's but I'm sure there were exceptions through out their run.

jerryrbeach

Thanks Dan.  Compliments on my vehicles from you are always appreciated.

Jerry

Zephyrus52246

Nice job on the Model T's.  I prefer the clear windows.

Jeff

ACL1504

Jerry,

Nice, very well done. These are not easy to build and yours make it look easy.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

jerryrbeach

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on October 28, 2020, 07:21:49 PM
Nice job on the Model T's.  I prefer the clear windows.

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words.  I'm not really a fan of the frosted windows, don't think I'll do it again.  It does speed up construction, I left the interior out of that car.
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: ACL1504 on October 28, 2020, 07:33:07 PM
Jerry,

Nice, very well done. These are not easy to build and yours make it look easy.

Tom ;D

Tom,

Thanks for your comment.  I find like anything else, practice makes it easier.  (Nothing I do is perfect.) ;D
Jerry

jerryrbeach

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on October 28, 2020, 07:52:01 PM
Beautiful Job Jerry......Dennis

Dennis,

I appreciate you checking the thread and your nice comment.  Hope you are making some progress on your layout.
Jerry

S&S RR

Jerry

The vehicles look great.  I agree with Jeff that the clear windows look better to me. On a layout I would you some of each to create different looks. The dulcoate would look great in a vehicle in a alley or shadowed scene.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

Jerry what a great job you've done on those cars!

I like the clear better though.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln